Take another trip to Hawkins in the first trailer for 'Stranger Things 3'

It's pretty rare to see TV content on my blog, mostly because... well, I don't really watch too many shows. Game of Thrones? Who cares. Breaking Bad? Whatever. That's not to say I don't watch any TV whatsoever- I'm currently in the middle of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and I enjoyed digging into all three seasons of Noah Hawley's Fargo. But the one show I actually consider myself to be a fan of is Stranger Things, the Netflix phenomenon that reinvigorated the Stephen King boom and created a huge market for 1980s-related projects. Yes, it's absolutely a show that traffics in ungodly amounts of nostalgia, but in its second season, Stranger Things came into its own by demonstrating a careful attention to character, separating itself from its influences to become something else altogether. It remains the only show I've ever binged in one day.

Now, the Duffer Brothers are preparing to return with Season 3 of the hit show- and it's guaranteed to be one of the biggest pop culture events of the summer. This morning, Netflix released the very first trailer for the highly anticipated threequel- watch it below!


Yeah, so this is gonna rule.

There's a lot to love here, and I'm sure many dedicated fans will be dissecting each and every frame of this thing. I'm primarily concerned with the vibe that Matt and Ross Duffer are aiming for with this third season, which feels like a cross between Stand by Me, a more adult mid-80s coming-of-age flick, and a gaudy sci-fi extravaganza. That's an ambitious blend to pull off, but it looks like they've accomplished it flawlessly. We've reached a point where audiences are fully sold on all of these characters, and I imagine it'll give the Duffers room to do some even more out-there stuff.

In lieu of a more cohesive analysis, here are some random notes from my two viewings of this trailer:

-Something about Stranger Things feels so firmly situated in a summer setting. The second season, with its spooky Halloween atmosphere, hit the right notes as well, but I love the return to the Summer of 1985 and the 4th of July festivities.
-Netflix has been hyping up the arrival of the Starcourt Mall in Hawkins for a while now, and it looks like the commercial excess of the mid-80s will be on full display here. Could we see a little Romero homage if the final battle ends up taking place in Starcourt?
-I am a sucker for neon lighting. This looks impressive.
-I'm digging the idea that these kids are moving into adulthood- perhaps a bit of a reflexive twist on the careers of the Stranger Things kids?
-Finally, that last monster is pretty damn creepy. I have a feeling this season is going to get a bit messier than previous installments.

Well, what else is there to say? Netflix cuts great trailers for this show, and we're all going to watch it the moment it arrives.

Stranger Things 3 hits Netflix on July 4.


Image courtesy of Netflix

Comments