Full trailer for Disney/Pixar's 'Toy Story 4' previews Buzz and Woody's new adventure

Like everyone else on the planet, I desperately want Toy Story 4 to be good. Hell, I'd be over the moon if Josh Cooley's highly anticipated fourth chapter ended up being a masterpiece on par with its predecessors. Nobody who loves this franchise and these characters can be rooting for any other result.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't be concerned.

Toy Story 3 is famous for having one of the most heartbreaking and bittersweet endings in cinema history, as Andy parted with Woody (Tom Hanks), Buzz Lightyear (Tim Allen), and the rest of his favorite toys in a symbolic transition from childhood to college life and his adult years. For those of us who grew up with the series (I was 11 when the film came out in 2010, so it hit me), it was the perfect ending. Why would anyone want to ruin such an astonishing conclusion with another sequel?

Nonetheless, Disney and Pixar will try. After a very brief teaser trailer a few months back, the studios released the full trailer earlier this morning- watch it below!


First of all, why are these creepy dolls on the poster? These things are gonna give kids some serious nightmares.

Anyways, there's obviously a lot to like here. The animation looks jaw-dropping, which has become a given for Pixar in recent years, even if the company's aesthetic wasn't always so automatically gorgeous. I'm also enjoying the careful attention to Woody's journey, though I think I'd find a buddy picture with Buzz a bit more appealing. And it almost goes without saying that I love the song choice of The Beach Boys' "God Only Knows," a natural fit for the bittersweet mood Disney is trying to evoke. Forky and the other new characters are undeniably weird, but the emotion looks genuine and touching, a perfect fit for a road movie with a wonderfully laid-back vibe.

Still, I doubt I'll be sold until the credits roll. With a risky sequel to such a beloved property, I really do believe a certain degree of skepticism is earned. Everyone involved with this project keeps emphasizing how much of a tear-jerker it'll be, but I'm not sure if the tears will arrive this time. If Woody leaves Bonnie and the gang behind, will that be enough to make audiences cry? Maybe. I know I probably shouldn't doubt Pixar. But until I see it with my own eyes, I'll probably be just a little concerned.

Toy Story 4 opens in theaters on June 21.


Comments