Brief teaser trailer and poster for 'Toy Story 4' kick off a new adventure

Well, I'm back.

If you haven't noticed (and you probably haven't, to be honest), I have completely stopped writing trailer and news reports in the last few weeks. Of course, I haven't stopped writing entirely. At the start of October, I spent five days at Film Fest 919 in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, which gave me a grand total of 14 reviews to put together. When coupled with films like A Star is Born, Halloween, Bad Times at the El Royale, and more, I was simply too busy to do smaller articles. And in all seriousness, I'm not 100% sure how many I'll get published in the next month. School is still busy, and there's no stopping the endless train of awards season. But with the studios prepping their end-of-year trailer push, I figured I would jump back in the game. Let's start with the first teaser for Disney/Pixar's Toy Story 4!


If we're being honest, there's very little to analyze here. Much like last year's incredibly brief first look at Incredibles 2 (which was something of a letdown after 14 years of waiting for just a glimpse of real footage), this is an announcement trailer for all intents and purposes. It's pretty much a vessel to introduce us to Forky, a new creation of Bonnie voiced by Tony Hale. None of this footage will be in the actual movie, and that's totally okay. On a funnier note, the song in this trailer is the same song that played during the end credits of Ari Aster's Hereditary, which freaked me out at first. Are Woody and Buzz going to be sold to Charlie? Will King Paimon play a role? Anything could happen! Cluck-cluck.

Anyways, if you're excited for Toy Story 4, more power to you. As someone who watched the original Toy Story until the tape wore out, I'm genuinely struggling to care about a fourth installment. The ending of Toy Story 3 is one of the more emotionally devastating scenes in movie history, and it tied together a story of growing up and moving on that worked better than even Richard Linklater's Boyhood. Why ruin that perfection unless you're sure you can top it? Despite my general apathy towards this project, I am intrigued by the comments of Tom Hanks and Tim Allen in the press recently. Obviously they have a movie to promote, but could the end of Toy Story 4 really be that soul-crushing? The Logan-esque poster below has already led some to believe that Woody will meet his end in the film. Could they actually pull that off without infuriating an entire group of parents? Am I gonna have to watch my childhood die in front of my very eyes? Forget the Star Wars nerds- Pixar might really ruin our collective childhoods in just a few short months.

Toy Story 4 will arrive in theaters on June 21, 2019.


Image: Pixar/IMDb

Comments