Today in Trailers: Festival hit 'Anna and the Apocalypse, 'Dafoe as Van Gogh in 'At Eternity's Gate,' and Mark Wahlberg and Rose Byrne in 'Instant Family'

Today brought us the latest trailer for David Gordon Green's Halloween, which took the internet by storm and further increased anticipation for the film's Saturday premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival. However, Blumhouse's new take on the Michael Myers legend wasn't the only film to drop a new trailer today. Several upcoming films revealed exciting footage in the last few hours, and these clips are sure to get cinephiles talking. Let's start with a new trailer for Anna and the Apocalypse, a horror musical comedy that made quite the splash on the festival circuit last year. Watch the teaser below!


"Shaun of the Dead meets La La Land!"

Look, I'm sold. I probably didn't even have to watch the trailer, because if you mention those films in the same sentence, my interest is already through the roof. Extreme amounts of blood and gore, Christmas cheer, British humor, and goofy musical numbers? It feels like this movie was made for me. Directed by John McPhail, Anna and the Apocalypse has been earning buzz for well over a year now, and I can't wait to finally see it for myself. I don't want to get too ahead of myself, but I'll be genuinely shocked if I don't love this movie. I think we're in for a treat, folks.

Anna and the Apocalypse will arrive in theaters on November 30.

Next up, watch the first trailer for Julian Schnabel's At Eternity's Gate, which stars Oscar nominee Willem Dafoe as Vincent Van Gogh. Check it out below!


To be quite honest, I'm split on this trailer. In one respect, it looks like a fairly standard awards bait biopic, highlighted by musical swells, monologues, and big Oscar moments. But on the flip side of that coin, it does appear that Schnabel is aiming for something considerably more intimate here, a much more frantic and strange look at Van Gogh than we might expect. The film just premiered at the Venice Film Festival to strong reviews, and it'll go on to close to the New York Film Festival in early October. Even if there are plenty of cheesy lines like "Maybe I'm a painter for people who aren't born yet," I can't escape the feeling that there's something interesting happening here below the surface. Plus, you can't go wrong with Willem Dafoe, Mads Mikkelsen, and Oscar Isaac.

At Eternity's Gate will open in limited release on November 16.

Finally, watch the first trailer for Instant Family!


This looks cute enough, and while it obviously won't be any kind of must-see during an unbelievably busy holiday, I can see a nice family comedy like this earning some box office dollars over Thanksgiving. I'll watch Rose Byrne in pretty much anything, and I'm glad to see Mark Wahlberg avoiding the Serious Hero shtick he's been doing for his last several films. Sure, there are a few shades of the Daddy's Home version of Wahlberg (after all, this film is directed by Sean Anders, who's also responsible for that Paramount mini-franchise), but Instant Family looks a tad more serious than his previous comedic efforts. There are a few too many slapstick gags and it all looks rather conventional, but I'll give it a shot. Paramount just bumped this up from February, so they obviously have some confidence in the material.

Instant Family opens on November 16.

Look for more news and trailers in the coming days!

Comments