Full trailer for 'Mary Poppins Returns' reveals a whimsical new journey with Emily Blunt and Lin Manuel-Miranda

Without a Star Wars film to gobble up box office dollars, the 2018 Christmas movie season is looking considerably more crowded than usual. Even though films like Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle and The Greatest Showman managed to get their slice of the pie last year, there's no doubt that the lack of a juggernaut like The Last Jedi will be good news for smaller films and wannabe blockbusters. Between December 14 and Christmas Day, there are nine wide releases on the calendar, not counting Oscar movie expansions and the limited debut of films like Adam McKay's Vice and Karyn Kusama's Destroyer. Most of the films should do fairly well, but if I had to place my bets on one film becoming the champion of the Christmas box office, my chips would be on Mary Poppins Returns. It's a sequel to one of the biggest films of all time with the Disney marketing machine behind it; in other words, it'll make bank. Several months after the debut of a brief teaser trailer, the Mouse House has finally pulled back the curtain to reveal a full look at their hotly anticipated sequel. Watch it below!


Full disclosure- I have never seen the original Mary Poppins. Now, that's not to say I'm unfamiliar with the story. I've seen multiple stage renditions of the classic tale and adore many of the songs, but I've just never felt particularly compelled to watch the movie. Can't explain it. I'm sure that'll change before this sequel comes out.

Okay, let's turn to this trailer. The first half of it is very bad? It recycles most of what we've seen before, adding in a few weird quips and some awkward exposition that feels clunky and poorly edited. I'll echo Twitter's concerns about the British accents assumed by Emily Blunt and Lin Manuel-Miranda, though I'm not sure that's the kind of thing that'll take me out of the movie. Anyways, about halfway through this clip, things turn a corner and I started to get way too excited. Maybe it's the fact that director Rob Marshall and Disney seem to be putting all their chips on a big, splashy musical, or maybe it was the presence of that old-school Disney animation. Either way, I'm totally on board with this. It could be a bust, but it looks as if there's genuine fun to be had here. Plus, how could we go wrong with that cast?

Mary Poppins Returns will arrive in theaters on December 19.


Image: Disney/IMDb

Comments