'Green Room' director Jeremy Saulnier returns with a vengeance in first trailer for Netflix's 'Hold the Dark'

When I sat down to watch Jeremy Saulnier's Green Room in April 2016, I didn't really know what to expect. I had seen the electric trailers, which promised a tense, rollicking punk rock saga, but I was unfamiliar with Saulnier's two previous films (micro-budget Murder Party and Sundance hit Blue Ruin). To me, this was just another indie movie- even if it fell under the A24 banner. In the end, I was blown away by one of the most staggering horror films in many years, a razor sharp thriller that oozes tension and brutality at every moment. Directed brilliantly by Saulnier and led by two remarkable performances from the late Anton Yelchin and Patrick Stewart, Green Room remains one of my favorite films of the decade. Whatever Saulnier does for the rest of his career, I'll be there.

For his follow-up project, the filmmaker is heading to Netflix for Hold the Dark, an icy thriller that promises more grueling violence and nerve-shredding tension. With a TIFF premiere on the horizon, the streaming giant has released the first trailer- check it out below!


With the film set for a September 28 bow on Netflix, I briefly considered not watching this trailer at all. But in the end, how could I resist a glimpse at what Saulnier has in store for us?

Going into 2018, Hold the Dark was easily one of my most anticipated films of the year, and my excitement has remained steady even with the limited information available on the project. The arrival of this trailer hasn't dimmed my anticipation one bit- in fact, it may have made the wait for the end of next month that much more unbearable.

Saulnier's taste for the bleak appears to be in fine form here, which is no surprise considering the story's grim setting and grueling story. Nail-biting suspense has been the name of the game in his pseudo-grindhouse thrillers, but Hold the Dark looks like a new kind of carefully calibrated carnage. There will be blood, and it's going to be mesmerizing and terrifying to behold. This adaptation of William Giraldi's novel appears to be a tad more dense than Saulnier's prior outings, with a vibe that feels reminiscent of the darkest chapters of film noir. But if you're familiar with his work, the idea of Saulnier tackling that genre is downright mouth-watering.

While I'm still not entirely sure what's happening in this film from a narrative perspective, I'm intrigued to see what Saulnier has cooked up in the Alaskan wilderness. This trailer gets the job done in an unsettling, thoroughly creepy fashion. Plus, you can't go wrong with a cast that includes Alexander Skarsgard, Jeffrey Wright, and Riley Keough. What more can I say? This one is a total must-see.

Hold the Dark will premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival on September 12. It will then arrive on Netflix on September 28.


Image: Netflix/IMDb

Comments