Second trailer for 'Ant-Man and the Wasp' teases the pre-'Infinity War' adventures of Marvel's tiniest superheroes

*Spoilers for Avengers: Infinity War below. I won't go into any specifics, but it seems necessary to talk about some trends in the greater Marvel Cinematic Universe.*

If you've seen Joe and Anthony Russo's Avengers: Infinity War by now, you know it ends on a pretty depressing note. Over the course of the film's epic 149 minute runtime, some major things happen that will change the course of the Marvel Cinematic Universe for years. Who knows if it'll all be permanent (odds are that there'll be some resurrections), but we won't know how everything shakes out for Earth's Mightiest Heroes until next May, when the fourth Avengers film ends the Infinity Gauntlet saga. But even with such a spectacular cliff-hanger finale, there are still two other Marvel films set to hit theaters between now and May 2019- Ant-Man and the Wasp and Captain Marvel. The latter, scheduled for release on March 8, 2019, is set in the 1990s, so the events of Infinity War are basically irrelevant (even if it's obvious that Brie Larson's Carol Danvers will play a role in Avengers 4). And as it turns out, Marvel is smartly avoiding any issues with Peyton Reed's Ant-Man follow-up by setting the film before the events of the third Avengers movie. With that in mind, we can all kick back and have some fun with this one. Check out the second trailer for Ant-Man and the Wasp below!


As I've noted many times over the years, I'm not the biggest fan of the original Ant-Man. In fact, I think I'd argue that it's the weakest Marvel film by a solid margin, and one of the few films from the studio that I would classify as being truly bad. Now, I'll admit that my judgment on Ant-Man has been partially clouded by my knowledge of the behind-the-scenes drama. As one of the biggest Edgar Wright fans around, I can't help but feel that Peyton Reed's film is just a generic, toned-down version of the movie Wright could have made. But I like Paul Rudd's everyman take on Scott Lang, and I enjoyed his cameo as Ant-Man/Giant-Man in Captain America: Civil War. So I'm willing to give Marvel's tiny hero another chance.

On a different note, after Infinity War, I have this new belief that certain characters in the MCU should stick to appearing in supporting roles in the big ensemble movies. For example, I think the Doctor Strange solo movie is all kinds of boring, but I really enjoyed Benedict Cumberbatch's Sorcerer Supreme in the context of the giant superhero extravaganza. The same could be said for Scott Lang's cameo in Civil War, so I think the decision to make the Ant-Man sequel a team-up movie with the Wasp is incredibly smart. Ant-Man just might not be interesting enough on his own, but with a little help, this could be a lot of fun. From this trailer alone, I like the dynamic between Rudd and Evangeline Lilly's Hope van Dyne, and I'm really digging the action on display here. It seems more crisp and effective than the last time around, and it seems like the film has a distinct and appealing visual palette. This will obviously be a decidedly less serious outing than Infinity War, but I'm down for a bit of mindless fun at this point in time. Ant-Man and the Wasp looks like a solid improvement on the original, and I'm surprisingly hopeful that this could be enjoyable.

Marvel's tiniest heroes will return to theaters on July 6.


Image: Marvel/IMDb

Comments