Mysterious first trailer for 'The Predator' teases Shane Black's new adventure

If I'm being completely honest, I don't really care about the Predator series all that much. I've seen bits and pieces of Arnold Schwarzanegger's 1987 original, I have little interest in the sequels, and I certainly have no desire to see either of the much-maligned Alien vs. Predator movies. But at the start of the year, when it was time for me to pick the 25 films I couldn't wait to see in 2018, I placed The Predator in the #9 slot. Why? Well, it's simple- Shane Black is behind the camera. Black has been a household name in the industry for decades, dating back to when he wrote Lethal Weapon and The Monster Squad in the late 1980s. I enjoyed Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Iron Man 3, his first two directorial outings, but it was his third film that really solidified Black as one of my favorite working filmmakers. The Nice Guys may have bombed upon release in May 2016 (it was facing off against Neighbors 2 and sandwiched between Civil War and X-Men: Apocalypse), but it seems destined for cult status. In fact, its reputation has already grown in the short time since it was released. It's one of my favorites of the decade, and I will continue to pray that one day we're lucky enough to get The Nice Guys 2. But for now, check out the trailer for Black's next outing: The Predator!


This is kind of a strange teaser trailer, and the online reaction has been split to say the least. As excited as I am because of Black's involvement, there is some cause for concern here. The film has been delayed multiple times- it was originally set to hit theaters in February, then August, and now finally September. In addition, reshoots apparently led to a whole new third act, which usually means that a film just isn't quite working. Despite those warning signs and the odd editing in the new trailer, there's also a lot to like from what we've seen so far. This teaser shows off the weird Predator-meets-suburbia concept in a successful way, and it seems like the cast is having a good deal of fun. Black's snappy, wisecracking dialogue generates some solid laughs here, and this first look firmly announces that The Predator will be a very R-rated affair. We're still a good four months away from the film's release, so obviously Black and company can't show us all of their cards just yet. But I have hope that the modern master of the action comedy can deliver another bloody and memorable adventure.

The Predator arrives on September 14.

Comments