This Week in Trailers: First teasers for 'The Equalizer 2' and 'Blindspotting,' final trailer for 'Deadpool 2,' and new look at 'Hereditary'

Another week, another fresh set of trailers to discuss. I already discussed the new trailer for J.A. Bayona's Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom yesterday, but here's a quick breakdown of some of the other sneak peeks released online this week. Let's start with the first trailer for Antoine Fuqua's The Equalizer 2!


I pretty much hated the first Equalizer, which ended up being a decent hit back in September 2014. Denzel Washington is great, but it's basically a more brutal, less self-aware version of the John Wick franchise, which means it's seriously lacking in clever world-building and genuine fun. I don't know who exactly was clamoring for a sequel to this movie, but Denzel and director Antoine Fuqua are back for another round. And......yeah, I'm probably the last person you should ask about this trailer. It looks fine. I like the "Backseat Freestyle" music choice, the violence looks appropriately gruesome, and Denzel doing his stoic badass thing seems good on paper. Hopefully it's a little less self-serious- if they can lean into the ridiculous nature of the concept this time around, it could make for a more entertaining sequel.

The Equalizer 2 will arrive on July 20. Bold move for Sony to release this one in the heart of the summer- let's see if it pays off. Now, watch the first trailer for Sundance hit Blindspotting!


While I heard plenty about Blindspotting out of this year's Sundance Film Festival, I still wasn't exactly sure what to expect. Most of the chatter focused on the relevance and urgency of Carlos Lopez Estrada's directorial debut, but I couldn't tell what the movie was actually about. This trailer does a decent job of selling the basic setup, while simultaneously giving us a taste of the film's topical message and intensely unique vibe. Its approach to big ideas and important topics seems a little too on-the-nose for me, but this is certainly an eye-catching trailer. Blindspotting looks more visceral than I imagined it to be, and it looks like Daveed Diggs delivers a rock-solid performance. I'm interested to see how this one turns out, as it could be a sleeper hit this summer.

Blindspotting opens on July 20 in limited release. Next up, check out the final trailer for Deadpool 2!


We're just under a month away from Deadpool 2, and this trailer was mainly released to announce advance ticket sales (although it can't hurt to have something new in front of Avengers: Infinity War next week). I've already commented on three other trailers for Deadpool 2 at this point (still wish it was the Untitled Deadpool Sequel), so I don't have too much to say here. I'm a fan of the original Deadpool, and this one looks like a great time. Ryan Reynolds plays this character to perfection, the jokes are just as outlandish and hilarious as the last time around, and the action seems to be on a whole new scale. Okay, so maybe the action looks a little too massive for the Deadpool universe, but this really does seem to be going by the bigger and badder sequel playbook. On a side note, I'm a little surprised that they're still incorporating T.J. Miller in the ads. Maybe he has a contract stipulation?

Deadpool 2 arrives on May 18. Get your tickets now! Finally, watch this incredibly creepy teaser for Ari Aster's Hereditary.


If the first trailer for Hereditary didn't terrify you enough, here's another genuinely nerve-shredding teaser for your viewing pleasure. I'm still not entirely sure what Aster is doing with this movie, and I'm happy about that. The marketing wizards at A24 have done an incredible job of selling the sheer atmospheric intensity of Hereditary, relying on the film's profoundly creepy imagery to get viewers interested. This quick trailer focuses on the character of Charlie, who seems to be at the heart of the movie's dread-inducing story. All I know is that this 60 second spot definitely got under my skin, and while I'm sure it'll scare the hell out of me, I'm all in on this one.

Hereditary opens on June 8. Come back soon for more trailer recaps and news!

Comments