This Week in Trailers: First teasers for 'The Spy Who Dumped Me,' 'Tag,' and 'Action Point' hit the web; 'Sicario' sequel debuts second trailer

In addition to the excellent trailers for David Robert Mitchell's Under the Silver Lake and David Leitch's Deadpool 2 that I previously wrote about in individual posts, this week has been a remarkably busy one for trailers. While the studios execute their master marketing plans for the biggest blockbusters of the summer, we're also finally getting a better look at some of the counter-programming offerings. With the week wrapping up, let's take a look at some of the smaller trailers that hit the web over the past few days, starting with The Spy Who Dumped Me!


Look, I'm a sucker for a good James Bond spoof. I adore the Austin Powers trilogy, I thought Melissa McCarthy's Spy was terrific, and I'm also a fan of films that riff on the Bond formula, like Matthew Vaughn's Kingsman: The Secret Service and Guy Ritchie's The Man from U.N.C.L.E. So if Susanna Fogel's The Spy Who Dumped Me is even halfway decent as a comedic twist on the spy genre, I'll probably enjoy it. That being said, this isn't a great trailer, and there are still plenty of unconvincing elements. Mila Kunis is consistently excellent in this kind of role, but part of me wants to see her venture into unfamiliar territory. Meanwhile, as funny as Kate McKinnon can be on Saturday Night Live, I'm still not certain that she can play an actual human being and not an over-the-top caricature. I'm hopeful that The Spy Who Dumped Me can serve as a surprise August treat, but I'm not getting too excited just yet. Keep in mind, I said all of these things about Spy in 2015, so what do I really know.

The Spy Who Dumped Me arrives in theaters on August 3. Next, check out the trailer for Tag!


Tag is the kind of movie with a concept so inherently ridiculous that it takes a second to acclimate to the fact that, yes, this is a real film that exists (and is apparently based on a true story too). When I first heard the buzz for this trailer, comparisons to Daley and Goldstein's Game Night were already being made on the internet. And that's.....not what this movie looks like at all. In fact, I can't really get a read on Tag. Is it a raunchy comedy? A poignant story of friends clinging to a simple game through emotional highs and lows? A ludicrous action movie? All of the above? Nonetheless, I'm sold based on the cast alone, which is bolstered by Jeremy Renner, Jon Hamm, Jake Johnson, Rashida Jones, Ed Helms, and more. I love so many of those actors, and it looks like they all have incredible chemistry with one another. This is director Jeff Tomsic's debut, so we're dealing with some unknown factors here. But Warner Bros. and New Line seem confident in the film, as it's debuting in the heart of summer. It's definitely on my radar.

Tag opens on June 15. Now, watch the first trailer for Johnny Knoxville's Action Point!


For Jackass devotees, this will probably be the event of the summer. While Action Point isn't being labeled as Jackass 4, the general consensus is that this is very much in the vein of that classic comedy series. Knoxville's brand of lowbrow insanity looks to be in fine form here, and there's no denying that this movie looks positively wild. I dig the anarchic spirit on display, and a renegade amusement park seems like a perfect vehicle for a splashy summer comedy. I don't have much else to say, but I look forward to watching Knoxville go wild.

Action Point debuts on June 1. Finally, check out the second trailer for the sequel to Denis Villeneuve's Sicario, which is now subtitled Day of the Soldado.


As I said in my discussion of the first trailer for the Sicario sequel, I'm not convinced that this is a movie that needs to exist. But the more I see from Stefano Sollima's follow-up and the more I hear on social media from Hollywood insiders, the more convinced I am that this could be an unexpected surprise. Sony clearly believes in the film, as it's scheduled for a prime June 29 release date. Sure, Villeneuve and Roger Deakins may not be behind the camera this time around, but Sollima and cinematographer Dariusz Wolski seem to have brilliantly captured the visual feel and the visceral intensity of the original film. Maybe the most encouraging sign is that screenwriter Taylor Sheridan is once again penning the script, with a story that looks to dig deeper into Benicio Del Toro's haunted hitman. Despite what seems like a bad idea on paper, things are looking good for Day of the Soldado- could a special slot at Cannes be in play?

That's it for this week of trailers- look for more trailer reports soon!

Comments