First trailer for David Robert Mitchell's long-awaited 'Under the Silver Lake' is strange and mesmerizing

Part of the fun of following the careers of specific filmmakers involves watching an idea develop from its early stages to the final product that arrives in theaters. To use a specific example, when I first heard about Paul Thomas Anderson's untitled fashion drama (which eventually became Phantom Thread), I had no idea what to expect- and neither did anyone else. All we could do is speculate based on rumors and previous work, wondering what the exact tone and style would be. The result was radically different than anything I ever could have expected and in a very good way. All of this brings me to David Robert Mitchell's Under the Silver Lake, the director's hotly-anticipated follow-up to It Follows, which has quickly become something of a horror classic in recent years. I'm not as in love with that film as everyone else, but it's undeniably an effective, chilling genre outing. Nonetheless, when I heard that Mitchell was heading to the noir genre next with Andrew Garfield and Riley Keough, I was thrilled. I couldn't wait to see how his sensibilities would play in that arena, and I was prepared for a dark and tense outing. Earlier today, A24 released the first trailer. And well, let's just say that it's very different from what I had in my mind....


.....And I mean that in a good way. When I heard that the director of It Follows was making a neo-noir, I was certain that we were in for another terrifying, brutally intense affair. Instead, it looks like Mitchell has crafted something that can't be easily classified into any single genre. The comparisons to PTA's Inherent Vice and the Coen Brothers' Big Lebowski have already been flying left and right on Film Twitter, but I've also seen a few people pick up on the Lynchian undertones in this trailer. I'd even throw Shane Black's The Nice Guys in the mix, if only because some of the crazy parties look similar in style to sequences from that action/comedy. If I had to sum it up from the trailer, Under the Silver Lake appears to be a paranoid comedic fantasy, equipped with traditional noir themes and a line of conspiratorial thinking that should provide some fascinating material. And most of all, it just looks plain crazy, an indescribable mix of wildly different tones and colorful setpieces.

So yeah, it's safe to say that this is one of the best trailers I've seen in ages. A24 is great at cutting trailers for their movies, so I'm always a little skeptical when I fall head over heels in love with a teaser like this. But Under the Silver Lake looks so weird and different and stylish, the kind of movie that was almost tailor-made for me. Andrew Garfield seems to be giving another tremendous performance, and the supporting cast in this one completely rules. I'm all in for a bonkers L.A. crime story- bring on the surrealism and the paranoid panic.

Under the Silver Lake opens in limited release on June 22. And considering its looming release date, it also could show up in the lineup for this year's Cannes Film Festival.


Image: A24/IMDb

Comments