Weekly Movie News: Daley and Goldstein to direct 'Flashpoint;' new 'Tomb Raider' trailer debuts; Stahelski to return for 'John Wick: Chapter 3'

After the completion of my final coverage for 2017, which culminated in the publication of my rather lengthy Top 25 list, I decided a brief hiatus was necessary. That's why I haven't published my review of Paddington 2 or any other movie news coverage this week. But things have been happening in the moments just before Oscar nominations, so I figured I would throw together a brief post detailing some of the week's developments.


To kick things off, Variety's Justin Kroll reported on Tuesday that John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein will direct Flashpoint for Warner Bros. After the disastrous performance of Justice League, this film is likely to serve as a reboot for the DC Universe. From what I've heard, this story allows WB to keep Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman, but erase Ben Affleck's Batman and other elements of the current timeline. Daley and Goldstein have a someone spotty directorial record (Vacation is not a bright spot on any resume), but they're best known for writing the screenplay for Spider-Man: Homecoming, which pretty much all comic book fans enjoyed. Kroll also revealed that Affleck was offered the job, an offer that was promptly denied. Word is mum on when Flashpoint will shoot, but I have to imagine that it's coming soon.

Next up, Warner Bros. also revealed the second trailer for their upcoming Tomb Raider reboot. Check it out below!


This isn't necessarily a bad trailer, but I can't say that it does anything for me. It's a decently well-crafted look at the film, and it features a few evocative shots of adventurous landscapes and big action setpieces. I like this trailer a little bit more each time I see it, and I'm hopeful that director Roar Uthaug can deliver a mid-March surprise. But even with Alicia Vikander and Walton Goggins heading the cast, Tomb Raider looks like a grim and surprisingly humorless affair, devoid of the levity that would normally make a film like this soar. I'm hoping for the best, but this didn't move the needle for me at all. Tomb Raider opens on March 16.

Finally, That Hashtag Show confirmed that director Chad Stahelski will be returning for John Wick: Chapter 3, the third chapter in the action franchise that rejuvenated Keanu Reeves' career. In addition to that crucial detail, the report reveals that the film is aiming for a March 1 start date, with filming taking place in New York, Spain, and Russia. The report also cites that Hiroyuki Sanada will be playing the main villain, a Japanese crime boss, while Laurence Fishburne, Common, and Ruby Rose will all reprise their roles. If you remember, the end of Chapter 2 found John Wick ex-communicated from the noble society of assassins and on the run, so I have to imagine that the story will pick up there. Stahelski left things on a big cliff-hanger, making Chapter 3 feel like a necessary conclusion to the Wick saga. I can't wait. The film is currently scheduled for a May 17, 2019 release.


Image courtesy of Warner Bros.
Poster courtesy of Lionsgate

Comments