Marvel's 'Ant-Man and the Wasp' reveals a fun, zany first trailer

As noted many times on this site, I have a complicated relationship with Peyton Reed's Ant-Man. When the film was in development under Edgar Wright, I couldn't wait to see how the unique British auteur would handle his first official foray into the superhero genre. But when Wright's working relationship with Marvel chief Kevin Feige soured, eventually causing the director's abrupt departure from the film, my heart sank. I couldn't imagine that a film about Ant-Man would be engaging without Wright at the helm, and none of the subsequent trailers or footage impressed me in any significant way. And you could basically say the same thing about the film itself. Despite its sense of limited scale and controlled stakes, Ant-Man felt like a bland, cookie-cutter Marvel exercise, visually stale and often quite dull from a storytelling perspective as well. I was very much in the minority, but I can't say I have any real desire to revisit the film either. That being said, I liked how Paul Rudd's Scott Lang was used in Captain America: Civil War, and I have some hope that the sequel will deliver where its predecessor couldn't. With that in mind, check out the first trailer for Ant-Man and the Wasp!


Surprisingly, I really like this trailer, and it got me excited for the sequel for the very first time. While this brief first look doesn't give any real plot details, it does something that I think might be even more crucial- it establishes the tone that the original film just couldn't strike. Even with a knowingly ludicrous concept, Ant-Man felt stodgy and traditional in a way that never captured the spirit of the character. Peyton Reed may be behind the camera again, but it looks like he's been able to loosen things up a bit and deliver something that feels more kinetic and thrilling. The trailer teases a cartoon-y, comic book-inspired look that is both a fresh burst of energy from this series and a welcome antidote to the more serious adventures of Black Panther and Avengers: Infinity War, Marvel's other 2018 offerings. Making what is essentially a buddy movie with the Wasp is an inspired choice, and if these kinds of team-up movies are where Marvel is headed in Phase 4, then I'm all for it. The action scenes especially look tremendous, blending traditional superhero punching with some seriously clever sight gags. While I'm obviously not as excited for this movie as the other aforementioned Marvel films, this trailer made me optimistic. Ant-Man and the Wasp looks like a fun ride, and I'll surely be there on July 6, when the film opens in theaters nationwide.


Image: Marvel/IMDB

Comments