New trailer for 'Justice League' previews DC's latest epic

Wanna hear a funny joke?

Justice League comes out in 40 days.

It's bizarre, right? This is one of the biggest movies of the year, and I don't know a single person who is looking forward to it. Even after the runaway success of Wonder Woman, something has always seemed so thoroughly off about Zack Snyder's follow-up to the much-maligned Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Maybe it's the endless reshoots, or the sharp tonal change from the film's predecessor, or the fact that the visuals look nauseating- maybe it's even a combination of all three. All I know is that beyond the online echo chamber of DC mega fans, anticipation is near zero for Justice League. My tastes have changed and evolved over the years, but I'm still usually able to feel some sense of excitement for the latest Hollywood blockbuster. But for this film, I feel nothing. With stakes riding high on this superhero mash-up, Warner Bros. is ramping up the marketing campaign as they reach the home stretch. Earlier today, a brand new trailer hit the web- check it out below!


The first half of this trailer actually isn't bad. I like the little scene with Clark Kent and Lois Lane, and the establishment of the dire circumstances in the wake of Superman's death is a good way to kick things off. But around the one minute mark, this trailer just jumps off a cliff.

Look, I didn't hate Batman v Superman. You could even say that I liked it. But Justice League looks awful, and I will continue to have this deeply skeptical thought in my brain until the moment I sit down in the theater to watch it. This looks like one of the most visually ugly films ever made, and I wonder if it'll be revealed over time that the lack of CGI polish is due to the complete re-working of the film by new director Joss Whedon. This thing looks like a visually busy eyesore, stuffed with so many explosions and electric shocks and punches that I cannot even tell what the hell is going on. Throw in a cringe-worthy cover of David Bowie's "Heroes," and you have an awful trailer that falls well short of accomplishing its task. I physically can't imagine watching this trailer and going "Wow, this movie looks great." I was astonished when I watched this thing earlier today. Justice League looks like a nightmare.

We'll have to wait until November 17 to find out whether or not this is the latest misstep for Warner Bros. and DC, but after this ghastly trailer, my cynicism levels are at an all-time high.


Poster courtesy of Warner Bros. Pictures

Comments