Edgar Wright's 'Baby Driver' to premiere at SXSW 2017

My first true film festival experience came in the fall of last year, as I made the trek to Toronto, Ontario, for the 2016 Toronto International Film Festival. TIFF was an event that I had wanted to attend ever since I started working on this site, and to see so many great films in a short period of time was a dream come true. It'll probably be the only major festival that I attend for at least a couple of years (school is gonna be getting in the way), but after reading the lineup for this year's South by Southwest (SXSW) Film Fest, I really wish I was going to be down in Austin in March. The festival, which runs from March 10-19, announced its first wave of titles today, a list that contains some truly impressive films. We already knew that Terence Malick's Song to Song would be opening the fest, so today's news was merely confirmation. In addition to Malick's hotly anticipated film, Ben Wheatley's Free Fire will be having its U.S. premiere at the festival. I saw that one back at TIFF, and I have a feeling it'll go over very well in Austin before its theatrical debut on April 21. But all of these titles were mere teases for what is certainly one of the most anticipated cinephile events of the entire year, a new film from one of the most exciting voices on the planet.


Yes, I'm talking about Edgar Wright's Baby Driver, which will be premiering at this year's fest. Originally set for a date in March, Sony moved the film to August to avoid potentially suffocating the high-octane action flick in a month filled with blockbusters such as Logan, Kong: Skull Island, Ghost in the Shell, and Beauty and the Beast. It's a smart move, but it kills me that we have to wait so long. But those lucky souls who head down to SXSW this year will get an early chance to see Wright's first film in nearly four years, which headed into production after the whole Ant-Man mess blew over. I'm a massive fan of the filmmaker- he's undoubtedly one of the most creative, energetic directors working today. Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, and The World's End are all varying levels of brilliant, and I feel like I've been waiting for ages for another film from the director. So it's safe to say that I'm extremely jealous of everyone who will be in Austin to check this out. Let's just hope that we get a trailer soon for what will likely be one of the most innovative action comedies of 2017. For those not going to SXSW, Baby Driver will be in theaters on August 11. It can't come soon enough.

Image courtesy of Sony

Comments