Chilling announcement teaser for Christopher Nolan's 'Dunkirk' hits the web

There's no way to get around this simple fact- I'm a Christopher Nolan fanboy. I'm a full-fledged Nolanite, and I've loved pretty much everything that the acclaimed filmmaker has made (especially his last string of films). I count Inception as one of my all-time favorite films, and I firmly believe that The Dark Knight trilogy is one of, if not the greatest cinematic franchise of all time. I love Interstellar so much that it has become a running joke at my school with my friends. So yeah, I have a tendency to adore Nolan's films. I believe that he's without question the most ambitious and original filmmaker on the planet, and I could talk all day about how brilliant his films are. But instead of doing that, I'm gonna focus on Dunkirk, Nolan's next grand-scale epic. I have to admit, I was a little surprised when Nolan decided that his next project would be what seems like a rather straight-forward World War II film. For a filmmaker known for extreme complexity, it was an odd decision. But considering Nolan's influences as a director and his constant effort to up the ante in terms of practical effects, tackling a big-budget epic about the famed Dunkirk evacuation is a natural choice. With this weekend's Suicide Squad, Warner Bros. has decided to debut the announcement trailer for what is surely one of the most anticipated films of 2017. Check it out below!


So last night, I went to check out David Ayer's Suicide Squad, a film that I had been waiting nearly a year to finally see. Oddly enough, the audience was filled with people around my age, which means middle school, high school, and college students (premiere night showings are usually dominated by fanboys). It was a talkative, energetic crowd, but as the trailers rolled for King Arthur, War Dogs, Deepwater Horizon, and more upcoming films, there didn't seem to be a whole lot of chatter or excitement. The preview for Seth Rogen's Sausage Party got people going, but the whole atmosphere changed as the Dunkirk trailer rolled. Even to my friends who aren't quite as obsessed with movies as I am, the name Christopher Nolan means something. People were hooked by that alone, but as the trailer built up to that phenomenal shot of the bombers going over the British soldiers, the whole theater went into stunned silence. Hearing those planes fly over in surround sound was insane (I can't even imagine what it must have sounded like in IMAX). This was only a tease, but honestly, it was everything that I needed. I can't wait to see more from this film, and if this exceptional announcement trailer is any indication, we're in for another Nolan masterpiece. 

With a cast led by Tom Hardy, Mark Rylance, Kenneth Branagh, Cillian Murphy, Fionn Whitehead, Harry Styles, James D'Arcy, Aneurin Barnard, and Jack Lowden, Dunkirk will roar into movie theaters on July 21, 2017. 

Comments