Trailer for 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' is a glorious return to the 'Harry Potter' universe

If there was one constant pop culture influence throughout most of my young childhood, it was the Harry Potter series. I remember Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone being one of the first "chapter" books that I ever read with my mom. I remember devouring Chamber of Secrets, Prisoner of Azkaban, Goblet of Fire, Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince as the release of the final chapter approached. I remember watching the trailer for the film version of Order nearly a thousand times in the summer of 2007. I remember being disappointed when I ended up feeling sick on the night of the release part for Deathly Hallows. I remember how excited I was to see Half-Blood Prince in theaters in 2009, the first Potter movie that I would get to see on the big screen. I remember seeing Deathly Hallows- Part 1 for my 12th birthday. And of course, I remember being there on opening day in 2011, witnessing the final chapter in the series that had come to mean so much to me. When Deathly Hallows- Part 2 concluded the Harry Potter series, it felt like the end of an era. And yet, in the back of my mind, I feel like I always knew that we'd return to the world of witchcraft and wizardry. Now, after a five year hiatus, Warner Bros. and J.K. Rowling have returned with Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, a spin-off series set in the Potter universe. Check out the latest trailer for the film below!


Man. This was really something. I've been excited for Fantastic Beasts ever since it was announced, but this trailer took my anticipation to the stratosphere. The cast is the first thing to note about this new look at the movie. Eddie Redmayne, who I usually don't like, looks great in the role of Newt Scamander, and the supporting cast, led by Katherine Waterston, Dan Fogler, Colin Farrell and Alison Sudol, is equally terrific in this trailer. But most importantly, it looks like Rowling and director David Yates (who was at the helm for every Potter film starting with Order of the Phoenix) have created another immersive world with so much attention to detail and a great sense of atmosphere. Just through this two minute trailer, I already have a good feel for what the tone and mood of Fantastic Beasts will be, and that's a great thing. Also- when the Harry Potter theme came on, I just about lost it. Hearing that on the big screen in front of The Jungle Book made me lose it a little bit. I haven't had that kind of a reaction to a trailer since Star Wars last year. So yeah. I'm just a tad excited for this one.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them stars Eddie Redmayne, Katherine Waterston, Ezra Miller, Colin Farrell, Dan Fogler, Ron Perlman, Alison Sudol, Jon Voight, Samantha Morton, Carmen Ejogo and Gemma Chan, and will hit theaters on November 18, 2016.


Image Credit: Joblo

Comments