Robin Wright and Dave Bautista set to join the cast of 'Blade Runner' sequel

Blade Runner sequel. Ridley Scott producing. Roger Deakins behind the camera. Hampton Fancher writing. Denis Villeneuve directing. Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford leading the cast.

Need I say more?

Villenueve's Untitled Blade Runner Project, set to hit theaters on January 12, 2018, is undoubtedly one of my most anticipated movies in recent years. I first watched Ridley Scott's Blade Runner on a snow day a few years back, and I absolutely loved every minute of it. The astonishing mix of neo-futuristic visuals, eerie human drama and fantastical science fiction was mesmerizing and it gave me one of the most unique viewing experiences I've ever had. A sequel sounds like an awful idea on paper, but with the talent involved this time around, even the most skeptical cinephiles are beginning to think that this could be an amazing achievement. And with some recent casting additions, there's even more reason to be excited.

Variety exclusively reported earlier this week that Robin Wright, star of Netflix's acclaimed drama House of Cards, will be joining the cast of the currently untitled Blade Runner sequel. No word yet on the nature of Wright's role in the film, but if her role as cold and calculating First Lady Claire Underwood is any indication, I can definitely imagine Wright playing a replicant in the Blade Runner universe. In addition to Wright, Guardians of the Galaxy and Spectre star Dave Bautista has been teasing a role in the Blade Runner sequel, posting on Facebook "I can't wait to share some really exciting news," accompanied by a picture of himself with the original film's iconic unicorn. Bautista is best known for his muscular and villainous roles, but I actually have always found him to be quite versatile. He can turn between fearsome and lovable on a dime, and that's a valuable skill. If the deal for Blade Runner 2 comes to fruition (which it looks like it will), I'll be very excited to see how he fits into this universe. With two great actors joining the cast, my anticipation for January 12, 2018 is only growing. 



Image Credits: Joblo

Comments