Michael Keaton, Tony Revolori and Laura Harrier in talks for Marvel's 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'

The idea of placing Spider-Man in the Marvel Cinematic Universe is something that is very exciting to me. I've been waiting for nearly a decade for this to happen and it's almost here- in just over two weeks, Spider-Man will be sharing the big screen with Iron Man, Captain America and the rest of the Avengers in Captain America: Civil War. However, it's still hard for me to accept that we'll be getting another reboot of Spider-Man in just over a year. There's gonna be a whole new origin story, with new characters and another fresh spin on the iconic hero. After the failures of The Amazing Spider-Man franchise, I hope that Marvel and Sony have learned their lesson(s). But I would be lying if I said that I wasn't worried. Nonetheless, there's a lot of reason to be intrigued. Everybody has said good things about Tom Holland as Peter Parker in Civil War, Marisa Tomei and Zendaya are interesting supporting choices, and Jon Watts is a director that picked up some steam last year with his indie thriller Cop Car. Recently, Marvel added some more names to the fray, and finally, my skepticism is beginning to fade.

The biggest news from the newly titled Spider-Man: Homecoming last week involved Oscar-nominated actor Michael Keaton. According to a Variety report, Keaton is in talks to play the villain in the film, representing a change of pace from his previous superhero role as Batman. The villain in Homecoming has previously been rumored to be the Vulture, and with Keaton's connection to the role of Birdman, it's ironically fitting. Later in the week, Deadling got the scoop that Grand Budapest Hotel star Tony Revolori and One Life to Live actress Laura Harrier have both joined the cast. Revolori will be playing Manuel, a high school nemesis of Parker, while Harrier will have a key role in the film. I don't have much familiarity with Harrier, so it wouldn't be right to comment on her casting. However, I do know and love both Revolori and Keaton, so their casting was big news to me. Keaton fits the role of the Vulture almost too well, if that does indeed end up being the character that they go with. But no matter the character, he's a great actor and I have no doubt that he'll do a terrific job. And I love the Revolori casting- I'd gladly have Zero Moustafa in every single movie. A part of me does wish that Revolori was actually the one playing Spider-Man, but if the role is written well and if it keeps the actor in the Marvel universe for a long time, I'll have no problem with it. Even though they have an uphill battle to fight, Marvel is beginning to win me over.

Spider-Man: Homecoming hits theaters on July 7, 2017.


Image Credits: Joblo

Comments