First trailer for 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' promises gritty adventure

The Force Awakens was only the beginning. After Disney bought Lucasfilm in 2012, the company spent a good three years formulating J.J. Abrams' epic seventh chapter in the Star Wars franchise. It was a huge success, ranking as the biggest movie of all time in the United States. But if you thought the Star Wars franchise would be on pause until Episode VIII, you're just crazy. The money train has left the station for Disney and they're on a long journey. Shortly after the acquisition, the company announced plans to start a new franchise within the Star Wars universe- the Star Wars Anthology series. Now known as Star Wars Stories, these spin-off and stand-alone films will tackle other aspects of the universe away from the Skywalker family story. The first of these stand-alone films will be Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, which will follow the group of Rebels who stole the plans for the First Death Star. So yeah. No Bothans. Let's get that out of the way now. We might see how the Bothans died to get us that information later, but not this time around. Anyways, the first trailer debuted late last week- check it out below!


Am I as excited for Rogue One as I was for The Force Awakens? No, of course not. But am I psyched for this movie in every possibly way? Absolutely. There is so much to unpack in this trailer that I don't even know where to start. First, let's deal with the elephant in the room. Is Jyn Erso, played be Felicity Jones, actually Rey's mom? Daisy Ridley says no, and as much as I'd like to think that she is, I know that Ridley is probably right. But nonetheless, I'm glad that director Gareth Edwards is introducing another strong female hero to the Star Wars universe. On top of that, I love the supporting cast, led by Diego Luna, Forest Whitaker, Donnie Yen and Wen Jiang (along with Riz Ahmed and Mads Mikkelsen, both not shown). Finally, I love Ben Mendelsohn as a terrifying imperial officer clad in an all-white outfit. Mendelsohn is a fantastic actor and I'm so excited to see what he'll do with this part.

But most of all, I love the grit that Edwards is bringing to this universe. While the trailer still had the light piano keys of the iconic Star Wars theme, Rogue One looks like a markedly darker movie than anything we've seen before from this world. It's a war story and thus, the style is fitting. And I have to admit, I did have one giant fanboy moment when the AT-AT's showed up on the beach. That made me gasp out loud. No shame. In just about every way, this looks phenomenal.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story hits theaters on December 16.


Image Credits: Fan Sided

Comments