Disney officially announces 'Toy Story 4'; John Lasseter set to direct

In my mind, the Toy Story trilogy is one of the few perfect film trilogies. I believe that it's up there with Nolan's Batman movies and The Lord of the Rings franchise. And to be honest, Toy Story 3 ended on a major high note. The end of that movie makes me cry more than any other film and it's the perfect ending to the perfect trilogy. But let's be realistic here- we knew that Toy Story 4 was going to happen. The third installment grossed over $1 billion worldwide and still is the second highest grossing animated movie of all time. That's just too much money to pass up and Disney has finally given in.

During an earnings call with analysts, Disney CEO Bob Iger announced that Toy Story 4 is coming and will be directed by John Lasseter, who was responsible for the first two films in the trilogy. Later on, we learned officially that Toy Story 4 will hit theaters on June 16, 2017. I first caught the news on Twitter, but Deadline was one of the first to report the announcement during their live blog of the earnings call. As Rope of Silicon notes, that puts it right in the middle of an incredibly crowded June that also includes How to Train Your Dragon 3 (June 9), Wonder Woman (June 23) and Despicable Me 3 (June 30). 

Despite knowing that it's a cash grab, I can't help but be excited for Toy Story 4. The trilogy has been a huge part of my childhood and I love those movies. Plus, Toy Story 4 will be hitting theaters during the summer before I head off to college so it will undoubtedly be insanely emotional for me. As long as it's good, I'll be happy. No word on the cast, but I have to imagine that the principal cast from the trilogy will return. All in all, this is huge and I'm sure that we'll learn more about this news in the near future. 

Sources: Rope of Silicon, Deadline

Comments