Robin Williams has died at the age of 63

It's been a few hours since I first heard the news about the death of Robin Williams and I'm still having trouble processing it all. The comedic actor was found dead in his California home earlier today. He died of an apparent suicide. He was 63. The Oscar-winning actor starred in many films throughout his storied career including Good Morning, Vietnam, Dead Poets Society, Night at the Museum and Mrs. Doubtfire. He won the Supporting Actor Oscar for Good Will Hunting in early 1998. Williams also starred in many TV shows over the years including Mork and Mindy, the show that launched his career. In addition to all of that, he was also a prominent voice actor who brought characters to life in films like Aladdin, Happy Feet and Robots. Robin Williams was one of Hollywood's most talented and influential comedians. There's no doubt about that.

Williams' passing hit me like a ton of bricks. I saw the breaking news on NBC and immediately uttered something that I'm not going to repeat here. Once I heard that it was suicide, I was even more devastated. Why would anyone so talented take their own life? It's simply one of the worst ways to die. I knew that Williams had suffered from depression and alcoholism, but I didn't know that it was still going on. It's just sad that he felt like he couldn't go to anyone for help this time, especially since he's been so open about discussing his issues in the past. If you ever feel like there's no way out, just remember the people who love you. Life is too beautiful to waste.

But in the end, just like with Philip Seymour Hoffman, I won't remember Williams for the way he died. I'll remember him for all the great movies he made and the way he made people across the globe laugh. Some of his great movies, I still need to watch. Good Will Hunting, Good Morning Vietnam and Dead Poets Society are all on my immediate watchlist. I feel bad that I haven't seen them before this. But I have seen many of his films and they were definitely part of my childhood. Night at the Museum is still a very good movie and his performance as Teddy Roosevelt is great. He's also one of my favorite voice actors and he made the Genie the most memorable character in Aladdin.

I wish that Williams had known how much the world loved him. We certainly will miss him now. Rest in Peace, Robin Williams.


Comments