'Overlook Hotel' moving forward at Warner Bros., Mark Romanek in talks to direct

The Shining is one of my favorite films and undoubtedly one of the greatest horror films of all time. Stanley Kubrick's masterful direction is mesmerizing from start to finish and Jack Nicholson's performance is terrifyingly unhinged. Warner Bros. has been developing a prequel to the film for some time now and it looks like it's finally moving forward with director Mark Romanek (more on that in a minute). For me, the news of a prequel to The Shining is actually quite exciting. I've been interested in the concept forever and the idea of exploring some of the things that are hinted at in the 1980 classic is very intriguing.

According to Variety, Mark Romanek is in talks to direct Overlook Hotel, a film that would take place before the events of The Shining and tell the story of Bob Watson, the hotel's first owner. Variety also reports that Glen Mazzara (former Walking Dead showrunner) has turned in a draft of the story. James Vanderbilt, Brad Fischer and Laeta Kalogridis will be producing the film. There's no word of a release date, but I would bet on a release date in late 2016. That's just my guess.

As I stated previously, Overlook Hotel is a film that I'm very pumped for and I truly hope that the screenwriters can create a terrifying horror film. I'm not familiar with the work of Mark Romanek (his previous films are Never Let Me Go and One Hour Photo), but from what I can tell, people seem happy with the choice. Let's hope he does a good job. In other related Shining news, Variety and other news outlets are also reporting that Doctor Sleep is in development, which I can't say that I support. I've read a bit of the book (which was recently released by Stephen King, one of my favorite authors) and it's extremely dark and kind of depressing. However, I plan on giving it another shot, especially if the movie is given the green light. For now though, we just have Overlook Hotel to look forward to and that's fine by me. I'm hoping that the film is terrific. 


Comments