Alec Baldwin and Rebecca Ferguson in talks to join 'Mission: Impossible 5'

Brad Bird's Mission: Impossible- Ghost Protocol is without a doubt one of the best action movies of the last ten years. It's a monumentally thrilling film and just a lot of fun in general. It will certainly be a tough task to top the last film, but Tom Cruise and company seem up to the challenge. Unfortunately, Brad Bird is not returning to direct this one. Instead, Christopher McQuarrie will be taking the helm. McQuarrie is best known as the director of Jack Reacher. He also wrote The Usual Suspects, Valkyrie and Jack The Giant Slayer. None of that exactly encourages me (The Usual Suspects is good, but that was twenty years ago). However, as I browsed through McQuarrie's IMDb page, I also saw that he wrote Edge of Tomorrow, another one of the best action movies of the last ten years. Now that is something that encourages me. I'm excited to see what McQuarrie does here. It looks to me like most of the principal cast will return for this next installment. Cruise will be back and Jeremy Renner and Simon Pegg will also be returning. Rumors also previously circulated that Paula Patton would reprise her role as Jane Carter and that Jessica Chastain would be joining the cast. Neither one of those rumors has been confirmed, but tonight, there is some new casting news.

According to The Wrap, Alec Baldwin and Rebecca Ferguson will be joining the cast of Mission: Impossible 5. In the report, it states that Baldwin will be playing the head of the CIA and that Ferguson will be playing a dangerous femme fatale. The article also notes that the role Ferguson is up for is the same one that Jessica Chastain was previously rumored for, which confirms that Chastain is not joining the cast. None of this is official yet, but most reports have expressed confidence that this deal will go down.

Baldwin is an interesting choice for this franchise. I've never been a huge fan of him as an actor, but he can bring a lot to the series. I feel like it would almost be too tongue-in-cheek for Baldwin to star in this series and I can't quite put my finger on why. Anyways, it's an interesting addition. Ferguson, on the other hand, is a complete unknown to me. I can't really say if it's a good or bad move. Ferguson has appeared on the Starz show The White Queen and she also will appear in Hercules, which hits theaters on July 25. All in all, I'm very excited to see what happens to this franchise and I hope that this new installment can have that same sense of wonder and excitement that the fourth one had. Mission: Impossible 5 hits theaters on December 25, 2015.


Comments