"Space Jam 2" with LeBron James is in development at Warner Bros.

Space Jam is a movie that I have never watched. I love the Looney Tunes and I actually am a huge fan of the 2003 reboot Looney Tunes: Back in Action, but I have never watched Space Jam. I don't know why I haven't. I guess it's because I'm not the biggest Michael Jordan fan in the world and don't really care to see a film where he plays basketball with Looney Tunes. But anyways, none of this really matters. This post is about Space Jam 2, not why Josh hasn't seen Space Jam.

Space Jam came out 18 years ago, but I guess that Warner Bros. decided that they finally had a basketball superstar who was big enough to carry a Space Jam movie. LeBron James is apparently going to star in Space Jam 2, which is in development. According to Cinema Blend, Warner Bros. is meeting with Charlie and Willie Ebersol to develop a Space Jam 2 with LeBron James as the star. There isn't any other word on the film right now besides that, but I expect that the film will be released around 2017 or 2018.

LeBron James is pretty much the only basketball player that Warner Bros. could choose for this movie. They need a big star front and center and LeBron James is that guy. Personally, I'm indifferent. I think that this movie could be good, but then again, is LeBron James really an actor? Cinema Blend also said in their article that he has a film project coming up and I know that he's been in a lot of commercials, but in the end, can he really carry a whole film? I don't know. However, this brings up a fun topic for me: Why hasn't there been a theatrically released Looney Tunes movie in eleven years?

Looney Tunes is a great property and I think that if Warner Bros. did some good stuff with it, they could literally tap into a gold mine. There's a whole generation of kids who have no idea who the Looney Tunes are and I think that if you got the right people involved, a Looney Tunes movie could become a big hit. First, they should try something like what The Muppets did, where it was basically an homage to the original series. Then, if that works, they could really tap into something. I just feel like Warner Bros. is missing out. Greenlighting Space Jam 2 is a step in the right direction, but I want a full on Looney Tunes movie. C'mon Warner Bros!


Comments