Marvel releases first "Guardians of the Galaxy" trailer

Guardians of the Galaxy is one of Marvel's most intriguing upcoming projects, as most people know absolutely nothing about the characters and really don't even have a remote familiarity with the comic. However, there is major talent involved and Marvel has basically been hyping this thing up as the next Star Wars. After a fifteen second teaser yesterday, Marvel premiered the new trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy. Marvel fanboys were super psyched by the trailer, but I didn't have quite the same reaction. Here's the trailer first: 



Guardians of the Galaxy was a concept that always appealed to me. I love space movies and I really like the idea of Marvel making a big space movie. Despite my initial excitement, this trailer was just dumb. It really was. There wasn't "comic relief", there was comedy. It doesn't look like Marvel is taking the material seriously at all and that just didn't appeal to me. However, when you look at this trailer from a marketing standpoint, I think that it's a success. It introduces the audience to the Guardians of the Galaxy characters and does it in an entertaining fashion. And I think that when general audiences see the trailer, they'll be impressed. However, knowing Marvel and how much comedy has been incorporated into their films as of late, a trailer that plays COMPLETELY off of comedy just doesn't impress me at all. We'll see. 

Guardians of the Galaxy stars Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, Benicio Del Toro, Djimon Hounsou, John C. Reilly, Glenn Close, Lee Pace, Karen Gillan and Michael Rooker. The film will be released on August 1, 2014. 


Comments