"Her", "Captain Phillips" win WGA Awards as the race to the Oscars continues

Last night was one of the final stops on the road to the Academy Awards. The Writers Guild of America held their awards show in LA Saturday night and it was a good night for Her and Captain Phillips.

Now, there is a disclaimer behind this awards show. 12 Years A Slave, the Adapted Screenplay favorite at the Oscars, and Philomena, another Oscar contender, could not be nominated by the Guild's rules. I don't quite know why, but they couldn't be nominated. Here were the nominees for the two films categories last night. Winners are in bold:

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY


Eric Warren Singer and David O. Russell, American Hustle
Woody Allen, Blue Jasmine
Craig Borten and Melissa Wallack, Dallas Buyers Club
Spike Jonze, Her
Bob Nelson, Nebraska

Her has now emerged as the favorite for the Oscar. Since day one, it's been a fight between American Hustle and Her and now it looks like Her is winning the fight. The film disappeared from theaters in my area fast, so I didn't get a chance to see it, but I'm still hoping to catch it before Oscar night. I still think that American Hustle could see a momentum shift, but I don't think that it's likely. Her will continue its march to the Oscars and Jonze will collect his first Academy Award. 

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY


Tracy Letts, August: Osage County
Richard Linklater and Julie Delpy, Before Midnight
Billy Ray, Captain Phillips
Peter Berg, Lone Survivor
Terence Winter, The Wolf of Wall Street

Like I said, the likely Oscar winner couldn't be nominated in this category, but I still found it interesting that Captain Phillips won. I love the film, so I'm happy that it won, but I was counting on The Wolf of Wall Street taking this one. I think that this award certifies that Captain Phillips is the backup choice for adapted screenplay, but I think that it also guarantees that 12 Years A Slave will win at the Oscars. Before the award was announced yesterday, I thought that The Wolf of Wall Street had an actual shot of toppling Slave, but now I don't think that it can. 

DOCUMENTARY SCREENPLAY


Jeremy Scahill and David Riker, Dirty Wars
Sara Lukinson and Michael Stevens, Herblock: The Black and White
Janet Tobias and Paul Laikin, No Place on Earth
Sarah Polley, Stories We Tell
Alex Gibney, We Steal Secrets: The Story of Wikileaks

Polley wasn't even nominated for an Oscar, so I can't say that this impacts anything. Nor can I say that I really care. 

The Writers Guild was the last major Oscar prognosticator and I still have no idea who's going to win most of the top prizes. This should be interesting. 

Comments