2014 BAFTAs: The List of Winners and Analysis

The British Academy Film and Television Awards (aka The BAFTAS) are pretty much the last stop on the Awards circuit before the Academy Awards. It's been a pretty quiet month so far and not much has changed in terms of the big races. I should have my first set of predictions up relatively soon, but for now, here are the winners of the BAFTA awards with just a bit of analysis on who won and what it means for the race.

BEST FILM- 12 YEARS A SLAVE

At this point, the Oscar race is down to 12 Years A Slave and Gravity. And while Gravity took home its fair share of awards tonight at the BAFTAS, it was 12 Years A Slave who took home the top prize. I'm still not sure who will win. I think that American Hustle has definitely lost all momentum and will only take a few prizes. But I'm still not sure whether Gravity or 12 Years A Slave will take the Oscar. We shall see.

BEST DIRECTOR- Alfonso Cuaron, GRAVITY

In an interesting twist, 12 Years A Slave took Best Picture while Gravity took home Best Director. The debate on who will take home the Oscar continues. I am certain, however, that Cuaron will win best director at the Oscars. I think that it's almost guaranteed.

BEST ACTOR- Chiwetel Ejiofor, 12 YEARS A SLAVE


This is a win that I fully support. Ejiofor's performance in 12 Years A Slave is extraordinary and I'm truly glad that he got some recognition. However, he's not winning the Oscar. Right now, Matthew McConaughey is the favorite, but I'm taking DiCaprio. I think that he has a lot of momentum and can certainly take theupset.

BEST ACTRESS- Cate Blanchett, BLUE JASMINE

While there is still talk that Blanchett could lose the Oscar race because of the Woody Allen scandal, I doubt it. She's had this thing locked up since July and nothing is going to change that.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR- Barkhad Abdi, CAPTAIN PHILLIPS

I guess Dallas Buyers Club was ineligible for the BAFTAs because the film was nominated in no categories. I think that Abdi gave a good performance in Captain Phillips and I'm happy that he got a prize. Still, Leto is going to win the Oscar.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS- Jennifer Lawrence, AMERICAN HUSTLE

To me, this is the most significant win of the night. One of the races that has remained tight throughout the whole has been the race for Best Supporting Actress. It's down to Lupita Nyong'o and Jennifer Lawrence and I think that this win was crucial for Lawrence. I'm betting on her to take the prize come Oscar night.

OUTSTANDING BRITISH FILM- GRAVITY

There's some debate about Gravity being a British film, but it won anyways over Rush and Philomena. This win is significant for the film as well. It indicates a lot of support for the film and I believe that it is an important win for Gravity. The film is still very much in this race.

OUTSTANDING DEBUT BY A BRITISH WRITER, DIRECTOR, OR PRODUCER- Kieran Evans, KELLY+VICTOR

BEST FILM NOT IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE- THE GREAT BEAUTY

This win is important for The Great Beauty and basically solidifies that the film is going to win Best Foreign Language Film at the Oscars. I'm actually very interested in this film and hope to see it at some point.

BEST DOCUMENTARY- THE ACT OF KILLING

This win is proof that The Act of Killing will win the documentary category at the Oscars. I was certain of it already, but now, I'm almost positive.

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE- FROZEN

Wow, shocker there. Seriously, is anything else going to top Frozen? The Wind Rises has a shot, but I still don't think that enough people have seen that film.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY- David O. Russell and Eric Warren Singer, AMERICAN HUSTLE

After losing the WGA award to Her, this was a much needed win for the American Hustle crew. I'm still betting on them at the Oscars, but I can't say that it's a guarantee. That branch often makes some weird choices.

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY- Steve Coogan and Jeff Pope, PHILOMENA

This win is not surprising. Philomena is very much a British film and I'm not surprised to see it take the top prize at the British awards show. However, I do think that this is slightly significant. This film did beat 12 Years A Slave, which is the heavy Oscar favorite. Still, I'm betting on 12 Years come Oscar night.

BEST ORIGINAL MUSIC- Steven Price, GRAVITY

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY- Emmanuel Lubezki, GRAVITY

BEST EDITING- Dan Hanley and Mike Hill, RUSH

Yeah! Now that's a win that I fully support!

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN- Catherine Martin and Beverly Dunn, THE GREAT GATSBY

BEST COSTUME DESIGN- Catherine Martin, THE GREAT GATSBY

BEST MAKEUP AND HAIR- Evelyne Noraz and Lori McCoy-Bell, AMERICAN HUSTLE

BEST SOUND- GRAVITY

BEST SPECIAL VISUAL EFFECTS- GRAVITY

That's my wrap-up for the BAFTA awards. Look for my first round of Oscar predictions later this week and maybe even some reviews. It's going to be an exciting rest of the month.

Comments