Oscars: Who Will Win and Who Should Win

The Oscars are the best show in Hollywood. It's all the glamour and all the stars out for one big night. It's also the culmination of the Awards season and is the final result of the best in Hollywood (although everyone has different opinions on who should win). So I'm going make my final predictions and also who I think should win. Here we go.

BEST PICTURE


WILL WIN: Argo
SHOULD WIN: Argo

Best Picture of the Year. Hands Down. I got the DVD on Wednesday and have watched it three or four times since then. It's not a perfect film; the middle section is slow. But it just has this quality about it that makes me want to watch it again and again. The only film that I can say does that to me is Casablanca. So Argo will be in pretty good company tonight when it picks up its best Picture Oscar.

BEST ACTOR


WILL WIN: Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
SHOULD WIN: Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook

DDL is a lock if there is one tonight. His performance is dead-on and he immerses himself in the character so much that you believe that he is Lincoln. He will be picking up his third Oscar tonight. But I would have picked Bradley Cooper for his fantastic performance in the fantastic film Silver Linings Playbook. He turned in a great performance and also immersed himself in his character. I thought that his performance was truly the best or the year and should have taken home the trophy.

BEST ACTRESS


WILL WIN: Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
SHOULD WIN: Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook

I feel that this is a pretty safe decision, even though some people are convinced that Emmanuelle Riva is going to take the trophy. Lawrence gave the best performance of the year and fit perfectly into the best acting ensemble of the year. I loved her performance and I loved that film. She's going to take home the trophy tonight.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR


WILL WIN: Robert De Niro, Silver Linings Playbook
SHOULD WIN: Alan Arkin, Argo

This is the toughest category to predict. I can see Tommy Lee Jones, Christoph Waltz or De Niro walking up to the podium tonight. But I'm going to go with De Niro. I think that the Academy is happy to see him back and will give it to him. He's also campaigned extremely well, something I can't say that Jones has done. And I'm not sure that there is the support for Waltz. Personally, I would have picked Alan Arkin for the humor he brought to an intense thriller.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS


WILL WIN: Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables
SHOULD WIN: Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables

Another lock, just like Daniel Day-Lewis. Everyone loves her performance and even the people that despised the movie thought she was good (for the most part). And she has won everything. It would make no sense if anyone but Hathaway walks up to the Oscar stage tonight. I would have voted for her as well, but not for Les Miserables. I would have given it to her because of her fantastic work in The Dark Knight Rises this year. That was a great performance.

BEST DIRECTOR

WILL WIN: Steven Spielberg, Lincoln
SHOULD WIN: David O. Russell, Silver Linings Playbook

If Ben Affleck gets a nomination for Best Director, there's a good chance that Lincoln wins best Picture. But it looks as if Argo is going to win now and Lincoln is going to walk away without an Oscar. So the Academy will reward Spielberg for the actor's showcase that he put on with Lincoln. Personally, despite my love for Spielberg, I didn't love that film. I would have chosen David O. Russell, who proved that a movie can be smartly written and have great performances but still be very entertaining.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

WILL WIN: Quentin Tarantino, Django Unchained
SHOULD WIN: Abstain

This is another tough category to predict. I think that Moonrise Kingdom and Flight have no chance and I think that Amour is a long shot as well since it is a foreign language film. Zero Dark Thirty is a popular film that isn't going to win much but that tortune controversy is going to hurt it. Look for Django to take it here. I'm not making a pick in this category since I saw none of the movies that were nominated. Sadly.

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

WILL WIN: Chris Terrio, Argo
SHOULD WIN: David O. Russell, Silver Linings Playbook

There are three good scripts in this category that could take this tonight. I think that Argo will win. It's a smartly written script filled with lots of catchy one-liners (including one that is reaching historic status) and a lot of tension. My personal pick is David O. Russell's script for Silver Linings Playbook which is just fantastic and a very real script that helps you relate to those characters.

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

WILL WIN: Wreck-It Ralph
SHOULD WIN: Wreck-It Ralph

Wreck-It Ralph is going to take this. The love isn't there for any of the other nominees and Brave is not as good as Wreck-It Ralph. I think that the Academy is going to embrace this film. It's my favorite animated film of the year too.

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

WILL WIN: Searching For Sugar Man
SHOULD WIN: Searching For Sugar Man

Searching For Sugar Man is a lock. It's going to win. I'm voting for it because it is the only of the documentaries that I saw. I watched it last night and didn't really love it. I thought that it was too much of a love letter to Rodriguez and would have liked to see more of the last twenty minutes. The music is good though and it introduced me to Rodriguez, who I didn't know before.

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

WILL WIN: Claudio Miranda, Life of Pi
SHOULD WIN: Roger Deakins, Skyfall

The Academy has a lot of love for Life of Pi which in my opinion is garbage. However, I can recognize that the film is very good technically and should win some Oscars for that. It's going to take cinematography here and a lot of other categories as well. But my personal pick is Skyfall. That movie is beautfiul and has so many wow moments in it. Plus, Deakins has lost out for movies like The Shawshank Redemption. Time to give him the award.

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

WILL WIN: Mychael Danna, Life of Pi
SHOULD WIN: Thomas Newman, Skyfall

Another Life of Pi lock is Mychael Danna. He has won most of the score awards and is the favorite over John Williams. I really didn't notice the music in the film that much but then again I didn't like much about that movie. My choice would be Thomas Newman for Skyfall because I really love action movies scores and that is a great one. I wouldn't mind Alexander Desplat winning for Argo either.

BEST COSTUME DESIGN

WILL WIN: Anna Karenina
SHOULD WIN: Anna Karenina

This film is just costume design bait. I haven't seen the movie, but just from watching trailers and seeing the posters know that it is going to win.

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

WILL WIN: Amour
SHOULD WIN: Abstain

BEST MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING

WILL WIN: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
SHOULD WIN: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

WILL WIN: Life of Pi
SHOULD WIN: Life of Pi

BEST FILM EDITING

WILL WIN: Argo
SHOULD WIN: Argo

BEST ORIGINAL SONG

WILL WIN: Skyfall by Adele
SHOULD WIN: Skyfall by Adele

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN

WILL WIN: Life of Pi
SHOULD WIN: Life of Pi

BEST SOUND EDITING

WILL WIN: Zero Dark Thirty
SHOULD WIN: Skyfall

BEST SOUND MIXING

WILL WIN: Les Miserables
SHOULD WIN: Skyfall

BEST ANIMATED SHORT

WILL WIN: Paperman
SHOULD WIN: Paperman

BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT

WILL WIN: Curfew

BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT

WILL WIN: Inocente


Well, that's it for now. I didn't do all the categories but I will be talking about them later. I'm live blogging tonight so look for that.

Comments