JJ Abrams to direct "Star Wars: Episode VII"

I know that I am kind of late on reporting this big announcement but I have been very busy. Last week, Disney announced that Star Trek and Super 8 director JJ Abrams would be the director for their new Star Wars film, which would be the seventh in the series. The director, who has a film debuting this year in the form of Star Trek Into Darkness, at first denied interest in the film but it turns out was actually always a contender. The only other real contender was reported to be Ben Affleck but I don't think that he would ever actually take the job. Paramount has reported that Abrams will remain a consultant for the following Star Trek films and on Mission: Impossible 5 but would not direct that film or Star Trek 3. Disney hopes to have Episode VII in theaters by 2015. It is unknown whether Abrams would direct all three films in the planned trilogy.

In my opinion, this is the best decision that Disney could make. Nobody would be perfect for the role and these films will not be on the same level as the original trilogy which is fantastic. Abrams is probably best suited for the role because of his experience in sci-fi (Star Trek) and with big action sequences (the train crash in Super 8). I think that there was another director that should have been considered by Disney more and that is Brad Bird. He has done good in animation and created one of the best action movies of all time with Mission: Impossible-Ghost Protocol. I think he would have been great but unfortunately, he's busy with Disney's Tommorowland, which is one of my most anticipated films of the next few years. I do hold Abrams in high regard as a director and think that he will do justice by the material, while also putting his own spin on it. He's the best choice for the job. I think that he could have clinched this job because of Super 8. If you know me or are an avid reader of this blog, you know that I hold that film in high regard and I hope that it is what he can do with Star Wars. Pay homage to the material while putting his own spin on it. I don't want a carbon copy of the original trilogy. However, I have one problem. Abrams is a great director and I would like to see him do more original material like Super 8 and I'm afraid with this, he'll end up being like Lucas and just doing Star Wars. I hope not but it could happen. I hope that he puts one of his friends in charge of Star Trek because I can't see anybody else doing those films as well as Abrams. But all in all this is a good move by Disney.


Comments