'Yesterday' trailer: The World Without John, Paul, George & Ringo

I almost opened this piece by noting that I'm a massive fan of the music of The Beatles; not only do I love the iconic melodies and perfect lyrics, I also adore how the band's evolution essentially tracks a crucial decade in recent history. But even though I listen to the music of John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr regularly (I'm listening to Abbey Road as I write), I came to a minor epiphany- doesn't everyone love The Beatles? I'm sure there are a few detractors out there, but calling yourself a fan of The Beatles is like saying you're a fan of food. In a media class last year, I even wrote about how the band's revered discography is practically synonymous with music itself- an exaggeration, maybe, but you get my point. And with the recent success of music-driven movies (with Bohemian Rhapsody sadly at the forefront of this movement) and the news of a potential David Bowie biopic, I've convinced myself that we're not far away from an epic chronicle of the meteoric rise of the most popular band on the planet.

But before we're forced to face the inevitable, let's bask in the glow of a slightly more imaginative project, shall we? Danny Boyle's Yesterday asks a simple question- what if everyone forgot The Beatles except one guy? Watch the trailer and continue on for more thoughts below!


Look, if you play "Yesterday" and "Hey Jude" in quick succession, you're probably going to make me tear up just a bit. That's your fault, not mine.

I'm sure many will think of this as something of a silly, cheesy idea for a movie (I've already seen a few tweets ripping into the premise), but as a sucker for all things Beatles-related, I could not be more enthused by this first trailer. Yes, I'm slightly afraid that Boyle and the marketing team at Universal have shown a bit too much, too soon, but I can't say I'm all that worried about spoilers in a romantic comedy. While I was already intrigued by the Beatles-centric premise and the casting of Lily James, the trailer hits a series of familiar, but deeply satisfying notes, revealing a heartfelt love story intertwined with some of the best songs of all time.

Even though The Beatles already received the jukebox musical treatment with Julie Taymor's Across the Universe, their catalog of songs is so varied and flexible that I wouldn't mind another half-dozen Beatles-themed rom-coms. In general, Yesterday seems like the kind of lighthearted entertainment that we'll all be craving by the time June rolls around- Himesh Patel looks like a star, the concept is goofy fun, and the songs will always be great. Time for the rom-com to make a theatrical comeback after Netflix's splashy summer 2018 slate.

One of my most anticipated of the summer? You bet. Yesterday opens in theaters on June 28.


Image courtesy of Universal

Comments