This Week in New Trailers: 'The Irishman,' 'Rocketman,' 'Detective Pikachu,' and more

Okay, yeah, it's been a while.

For those of you who don't know, I'm a college student, which means that sometimes my schedule dictates how frequently I'm able to update this site. This semester features a more bizarre schedule than usual, limiting both my ability to provide regular updates and the amount of trips I'm able to make to the theater. The result? A grand total of 14 posts in the month of February. Not great, but it's looking like March could be a step in the right direction. I still have reviews of Cold Pursuit, The LEGO Movie 2, and High Flying Bird in various stages of editing that I hope to complete in the coming days, and I'll be seeing many more films over my upcoming spring break. For now, here's a brief recap of the last week or so in trailers. Some of these films would typically necessitate a post of their own, but for the sake of time, I'm condensing it all here. I'll be updating with my reactions over the next few hours!

To start, here's the first teaser for Martin Scorsese's The Irishman, which Netflix revealed during the middle of the Oscars broadcast. Side note: I plan to never speak of this year's Oscars again under any circumstances- if you want my reaction, head to Twitter. Anyways, check out this brief announcement teaser!


We're still several months away from the release of Scorsese's long-awaited mob drama, so this teaser gives us basically nothing to work with. But then again- how much do you really need to know? It's a new Martin Scorsese movie. And it stars Robert De Niro and Al Pacino and Joe Pesci and Harvey Keitel and if your mind isn't already blown, I don't know what to tell you. Word on the street (courtesy of THR) is that Netflix is planning to give this one a big, splashy theatrical release; after failing to take home the top prize with Roma, content chief Ted Sarandos absolutely doesn't want to lose again.

The Irishman will hit theaters in the fall. Yes, you could argue this was a slightly pointless tease, but it made me tell everyone around me to shut up at my Oscars viewing party (I know, I know, I promised I wouldn't talk about it anymore).

Next up- could the next Bohemian Rhapsody be only a few months away? Here's the full trailer for Dexter Fletcher's Rocketman, a biopic of rock legend Elton John- click below to see more!


Look, there is a convincing argument to be made that the genre of the musical biopic should be completely destroyed, and if I were making that case, Bohemian Rhapsody would be my prime target. If I have to suffer through a mediocre Beatles biopic in a few years just because Rami Malek and his fake teeth won an Oscar, I'm going to cry. But for whatever reason, my hopes are high for the cinematic rendition of Elton John's story after this Rocketman trailer. Firstly, Taron Egerton is a great movie star, whether he's playing Eggsy in the Kingsman movies or diving into more of a misfit role (think Eddie the Eagle, also directed by Fletcher). Second, Fletcher and his team are clearly pushing for something more daring, something that's expressive and strange and inventive rather than the recycled pile of cliches dredged up by Director X (a.k.a. Bryan Singer) during the making of the Freddie Mercury saga. There's colorful fun and decadence on display here, and I'm itching to see more.

Rocketman will arrive in theaters on May 31. Next, check out another look at Ryan Reynolds in Pokémon: Detective Pikachu!


God, this is gonna make so much money. I can barely fathom it right now.

As I've said in previous posts, I'm far from the Pokémon expert in my family. I have a baseline familiarity with the whole thing because my brother is a huge fan, but I'm still really excited to see how all this plays out? It's hilarious to see Twitter unite around this film, which has seen skeptical first reactions give way to genuine anticipation and excitement. The casting of Reynolds as the eponymous detective is borderline voice stunt casting, but the scope of the whole affair seems to provide a nice balance of spectacle and goofy, Deadpool-esque humor. While I still have a few reservations, I'm all in on this new Pokémon franchise. I'll be there opening day, just like half of America.

Detective Pikachu opens in theaters on May 10. A week before Pokémon's long-awaited live-action arrival, Seth Rogen will return to the big screen after a somewhat lengthy hiatus for a political comedy with Charlize Theron. Check out the trailer for their latest film, Long Shot, below!


"Cracker down!"

I'm not sure if you can say that Seth Rogen has a consistent fanbase, but I consider myself a fan of his particular brand of humor. Where most dismiss the Rogen/Goldberg model as crass and needlessly reliant on an endless supply of weed, I see a team working to create high-concept comedies on a consistent basis. The last original comedy led by Rogen was 2015's The Night Before, which, in case you've never seen it, is something of a modern holiday classic. Coincidentally, that film was also directed by Jonathan Levine, who is behind the camera again for Long Shot. With Charlize Theron as his co-star, Rogen is clearly working in a rom-com mode, and I'm very much down for what this film is laying out on the table. It looks charming and sweet and naturally funny, and I can't imagine a much better odd couple pairing for a political comedy.

Long Shot opens on May 3. Finally, if you're still holding out hope that we'll get one more good X-Men movie before things shift back to Kevin Feige, check out the trailer for Simon Kinberg's Dark Phoenix!


I love these actors. I love these characters. And I'm so tired of this stupid franchise.

Dark Phoenix looks like CGI garbage, something that isn't necessarily surprising considering how much of it has been reportedly re-shot over the last few months. Of course, much of the online discourse has immediately gravitated to the reveal of Mystique's (Jennifer Lawrence) death, a surprise that most filmmakers would prefer to keep hidden until the release of the film itself. Instead, Kinberg went ahead and did an interview with Indiewire to explain the rationale- I guess that's one way to get people to talk about your movie!

Kinberg also mentions that more characters will die, which raises an interesting question- how dark is this going to get? Since the catastrophe that was X-Men: Apocalypse (it's almost easy to forget that a number of these films were directed by accused pedophile Bryan Singer), the Fox Marvel universe has had no qualms with eliminating characters. Logan capped off the original X-Men continuity by killing Hugh Jackman's Wolverine and Patrick Stewart's Professor X and Deadpool 2 even toyed with the death of Ryan Reynolds' wise-cracking character. But what if Dark Phoenix kills.... everybody? What if it inadvertently- or purposefully- becomes a metaphor for Disney's acquisition and destruction of the previous chronology? That seems unlikely, but it's also probably the only way this turns out to be an interesting film.

Dark Phoenix opens on June 7. Check back soon for more trailers and reviews!

Comments