Keanu Reeves is back in electric first trailer for 'John Wick: Chapter Three- Parabellum'

Despite my best intentions to see it in theaters, the original John Wick was a surprise phenomenon that I only caught long after its original release. When I finally got around to it, I enjoyed the Chad Stahelski and David Leitch-directed original slightly less than most, though it's always a pleasure to watch Keanu Reeves annihilate bad guys. But when Stahelski's John Wick: Chapter Two hit theaters in early 2017, I became a fan of the franchise for life. One of the best sequels to grace the silver screen this decade, the bullet-riddled follow-up expanded on everything the first film did well- operatic action sequences, intricate world-building, and the consistently awesome Reeves. Plus, it ended on a cliff-hanger that made me want to go out and buy a ticket for Chapter Three instantly. Nearly two years later, we finally have our first footage from Chapter Three, which will track Wick's epic escape after he was labeled excommunicado. And yes, it's as eye-popping as it sounds. So what are you waiting for! Watch the first trailer below:


I'll have some more rational thoughts in second, but.....

John Wick on a horse! Assassins on motorcycles with ninja swords! More gorgeously choreographed action! So much violence! So many colors! My mind is sufficiently blown.

In all seriousness, this is the finest trailer I've seen recently; a perfectly calibrated primer for the madness that Stahelski and Reeves have in store. I love the ticking anticipation of this clip, the sense that all hell is about to break loose at any given moment. Wick is on the run, and he's not going to have the help of the Continental this time- or maybe he will.

When I walked out of Chapter Two, my first instinct was that we'd see a time jump in the third chapter, with Wick hiding out in some remote location to escape the heat coming his way. That evidently is not what they're going with, but there's a reason I'm not a screenwriter- I couldn't dream of a better continuation than watching John Wick battle his way through New York City one more time.

No series in the industry does colorful carnage quite like these mad geniuses behind these films, and the cinematic world is a better place for it. If this does end up the trilogy capper for everyone involved, it looks like a fitting end to one of the great surprise franchises of the decade. Bring it on, Mr. Wick.

John Wick: Chapter Three- Parabellum (this title is way too long, though) opens in theaters on May 17, 2019. I'll be first in line.


Image courtesy of Lionsgate

Comments