Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson take over in first trailer for 'Men in Black International'

With just over four months until Avengers: Endgame, we just don't know who will make it out alive. Okay, so we're all pretty sure the dusted Avengers will be brought back to life, but is this the final swan song for the original team? Will Robert Downey Jr.'s Iron Man, Chris Evans' Captain America, and Chris Hemsworth's Thor all meet their respective ends? Well, if the stars' ability to choose from a new range of blockbuster projects is any indication, this might be the end of their MCU tenures. Downey will be busy promoting The Voyage of Doctor Dolittle in early 2020, while Evans recently finished shooting a role in Rian Johnson's Knives Out.

However, it's Hemsworth who arguably has the most high-profile Endgame follow-up of all, teaming up with Thor: Ragnarok co-star Tessa Thompson for Men in Black International, the F. Gary Gray-directed reboot of the classic Will Smith property. Earlier today, Sony released the first trailer for the film- watch it below!


I've never really been a huge fan of the Men in Black franchise; the first one is okay, never seen the second one, and I thought the third was a bit of a letdown. So if I'm being totally honest, I welcome the idea of a reboot. Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones were great for that series, but it's time for a new generation to don the suits and ties. And let's be real, what duo exudes effortless charisma quite like Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson? The supporting cast, which includes Liam Neeson, Emma Thompson, Rebecca Ferguson, Kumail Nanjiani, and Rafe Spall, is quite strong too, but I'm buying a ticket to see Hemsworth and Thompson kick ass. To me, that's the core appeal of this reboot.

Today's trailer is decent enough. Like I said, I've never really cared much for the aesthetic and tonal inclinations of the MIB franchise, and I doubt that'll change here. I like the idea of 50s sci-fi pastiche in theory, but the cheesy effects and low-key stupidity have never clicked in my brain. Still- not all bad! I like the music choices, and I'm digging the dynamic between Hemsworth and Thompson. At a certain point, that's all that matters.

Men in Black International opens on June 14, 2019. Let's hope for a nice summer diversion.


Image: Sony/IMDb

Comments