Watch: Excellent trailer for M. Night Shyamalan's 'Glass' unites Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson, and James McAvoy

When audiences saw the final scene of M. Night Shyamalan's 2017 horror breakout Split, there were pretty much only two possible reactions.

Reaction A: "Oh my god. It's happening. I can't believe it. Wow. Here we go!!!"

Reaction B: "What?"

That's because Split ended with the reveal of Bruce Willis as David Dunn, his character from Shyamalan's cult classic Unbreakable. Once believed to be just a standalone horror movie with James McAvoy, Split was suddenly a part of a bigger universe. Fans had been begging for an Unbreakable sequel for years, but Shyamalan opted to spend his time on other projects. Now, it appears those fans will get their wish. Set for release in January 2019, Glass will bring together characters from the two films to complete this epic horror story. At San Diego Comic-Con, Universal and Shyamalan just unveiled the first trailer. Watch it below!


After walking out of Split last year, I instantly said "Wow, I really should get around to watching Unbreakable." Cut to 18 months later, and I still have not watched the origin story of David Dunn and Mr. Glass. I'm sure I'll get around to it before Glass arrives in theaters. But it just keeps slipping through the cracks.

I liked Split a good deal, though I must admit I was less enamored by it than some others were. It's a solid film, and it serves as further proof that Shyamalan is a fully capable, even thrilling director when given the right material. Bringing together James McAvoy's dynamic, terrifying Kevin Wendell Crumb with phenomenal actors like Willis and Jackson has always been an enticing idea, and this is a great first trailer. The psychological angle that felt half-baked in Split feels sharply realized here, and it looks like a significant expansion of scope and scale. Sarah Paulson's Dr. Ellie Staple is a fascinating new addition to the cast, a fresh spin on the character played by Betty Buckley in Shyamalan's last film. Plus, I'm excited to see Anya Taylor-Joy back in action.

With the glut of superhero and comic book stories in the world today, this grounded, humanist look at these heroic and villainous individuals seems more necessary than ever. Glass looks really terrific, and I'll be there opening day to see how this all plays out. And by that point, I will have definitely seen Unbreakable.

Glass opens in theaters on January 18, 2019.


Image courtesy of Universal Pictures

Comments