Amazing trailer for James Wan's 'Aquaman' introduces an impressive underwater world

Prior to three hours ago, I did not care in the slightest about an Aquaman movie. Even with Conjuring horror maestro James Wan behind the camera and a cast led by Jason Momoa, Nicole Kidman, Patrick Wilson, Amber Heard, Willem Dafoe, and many, many more, my reaction to Aquaman has been total indifference since it was first announced. I wasn't a fan of Momoa's take on the character in Justice League, and I didn't think a full-length movie would do anything to change my mind. The trip to Atlantis in that film was truly terrible- why would I want to go back?

But with exactly five months to go until its release in theaters, Warner Bros. and DC have suddenly changed my mind. With the debut of a new trailer at San Diego Comic-Con, I find myself feeling.....excited? Watch the first trailer for Aquaman below!


It's clear from this trailer that Aquaman is far from finished, still needing lots of VFX work to make the film as sharp and crisp as humanly possible. But to be honest, I didn't press play on this trailer expecting perfectly finished visuals. No, I just wanted a reason to care about what should be the biggest blockbuster of the holiday season. With that small request in mind, this first look at Aquaman exceeded my expectations and then some. This looks thrilling, epic, and genuinely gorgeous, a cornucopia of imaginative ideas and sheer cinematic innovation. I know James Cameron is preparing to go under the seas for his Avatar sequels, but James Wan may have just beat him to the punch.

It also gave me a reason to care about Arthur Curry for the very first time. See, this is the inherent problem with bringing superheroes together for a team-up movie before you know anything about them. In Justice League, Curry was just a devil-may-care guy who could mess with water. This trailer fills in so many of the gaps in his character- his original, the push-and-pull between two worlds, his rightful place on the throne. I'm fascinated to see how this royal drama plays out, which is something I did not expect to say after watching this clip.

Most of all, I just have to admire the sheer ambition of the entire endeavor. In just a few short months, we're going to see a major blockbuster featuring men riding on seahorses and sharks into battle. That's just flat-out awesome, and I hope Wan has delivered a film that can live up to its gutsy ideas. Aquaman looks like the kind of colorful, thrilling entertainment that DC should be making, and I'm really encouraged by what we've seen today, both from this film and Shazam! The future of The Worlds of DC is very, very bright.

Aquaman arrives in theaters on December 21.


Comments