Ryan Gosling, Donald Glover, and Ezra Miller reportedly lead Warner Bros.' Willy Wonka shortlist

On paper, a reboot of Roald Dahl's classic Willy Wonka property is a massively stupid idea. The concept of a prequel that tracks his origins as a chocolate icon and reclusive mastermind may be even worse. But when you throw Paddington director Paul King into the mix, suddenly these bad ideas sound a whole lot more enticing. Warner Bros., the studio responsible for distributing the delightful Paddington 2 in North America, reportedly inked a deal with King to direct their new Willy Wonka film earlier this year, a project that many didn't even know was in the works. King later signed on to direct Disney's live-action Pinocchio movie as well, so it'll be interesting to see how the director ends up working out his schedule. There's no release date for the Wonka film as of yet, but if today's report comes to fruition, the intriguing new project is quickly moving forward.  


According to Collider's Jeff Sneider (who signed with the entertainment site after The Tracking Board shut its doors), Warner Bros. has three actors on a shortlist for the role of Willy Wonka. Those actors are Ryan Gosling, Donald Glover, and Ezra Miller. Sneider once again listed the rumor that this is a basically an origin story for Wonka, so it makes sense that these are all younger actors. In the above video report, Sneider reveals that Glover is pursuing the role, but no actor has engaged in any official talks as of yet. 

I have to say, Warner Bros. is making all the right moves to get me interested in this film. I would be more than okay with any of these actors playing Wonka, though I certainly have my preferences. As much as I like Ezra Miller, he'd probably be my last choice out of the three. As evidenced by his performances in Justice League and Fantastic Beasts, he can play quirky and dark really well, but I just feel that he's a little too young for the role. However, if they're really leaning into the origin story, this would make sense.

Even if Solo didn't do quite as well as Lucasfilm hoped, Donald Glover is officially a superstar, and he would bring the perfect amount of mystery to Wonka. Glover is a renaissance man and a one-of-a-kind enigma, so he already shares something of a kinship with the iconic character. I would be thrilled if he got the role.

But knowing that he's an option, Ryan Gosling is my pick for this new Wonka. I'm a noted Gosling devotee, and he's one of the few actors that I'll watch in just about anything. And as much as I love his serious work like Blade Runner 2049, I really do want to see him in a comedy again. The Nice Guys flexed his comedic muscles in such a spectacular way, and if I can't get a sequel to that instant detective classic, I just want to see Gosling back in that mode again. It would undoubtedly be such a fascinating performance from one of our best actors. 

With King behind the camera and the promise of one of these great actors as the star, this new Wonka movie is quickly becoming a hotly anticipated project. Look for more on this story as it develops. 


Images: Warner Bros.

Comments