Robert Redford is back in action in the trailer for 'The Old Man & the Gun'

David Lowery is one of the most acclaimed and popular directors on the independent film circuit today. Too bad I haven't enjoyed any of his movies.

Well, I haven't seen Ain't Them Bodies Saints, so I can't dismiss his entire filmography. But I was extremely excited for his last two movies, and both of them were huge letdowns in my book. In a world of Disney live-action remakes that feel like glossy cash grabs, Lowery's Pete's Dragon seemed like a genuine, old-fashioned fairy tale, reminiscent of E.T. and The Iron Giant. Unfortunately, for all of its whimsical Sundance-y charm, I found the film to be surprisingly hollow and populated with thinly drawn characters. A Ghost Story earned waves of praise at last year's Sundance, but I was immensely disappointed by its half-baked philosophical posturing and obvious exposition dumps, even if that pie eating scene is a classic. A year later, Lowery is back with The Old Man & the Gun, a quiet crime drama starring Robert Redford. Fox Searchlight released the first trailer earlier today- watch it below!


Lowery has fooled me twice at this point. I thought I would love his last two movies, and they just didn't click with me. But after watching this trailer, I'm feeling really good about The Old Man & the Gun. It looks like Lowery and Robert Redford took a time machine back to the 1970s and made an old-fashioned character study by way of a bank robbery movie. Everything from the grainy cinematography by Joe Anderson to the detailed period clothing seems to be all too perfect. This doesn't just look like a 1970s movie- it feels like one too. Plain and simple, this just looks excellent.

Redford is one of the last remaining legends of the greatest decade in American film, and I'm thrilled that he's still taking on such terrific roles even as he approaches his mid-80s. The Old Man & the Gun might be his best chance to take home an acting Oscar, as the multi-hyphenate has only previously won the Best Director award in 1981 for Ordinary People. Redford seems to be the perfect choice for Forrest Tucker, the character at the heart of this incredible true story. Joining Redford is an array of brilliant supporting actors, including Casey Affleck, Danny Glover, Sissy Spacek, and more. The trailer does a remarkable job of selling basically every aspect of the film- the crispness of the dialogue, the precision of the filmmaking, and Redford's gentle, lovable criminal. On every level, it looks like Lowery has created something astoundingly good.

This is a knockout of a trailer, and I can only hope that all of this magic is carried over to the film itself. The Old Man & the Gun looks like a masterful showcase for Redford, and I'm confident that this is the movie that will make me a fan of David Lowery. It looks undeniably gorgeous, and I can't wait to see the final product.

The Old Man & the Gun will arrive in theaters on September 28. Before that, it'll likely make a quick tour of the fall festival circuit.


Image courtesy of Fox Searchlight

Comments