Incredible trailer for 'Halloween' previews the final showdown between Michael Myers and Laurie Strode

In theory, Halloween is one of those franchises that has been done to death. Since John Carpenter's 1978 original, there have been several sequels, a weird spin-off sequel, a remake, and a sequel to that remake. And here's the catch- none of them are particularly beloved in any way. If we're being honest, most Halloween fans probably would have been content to let this thing die with Rob Zombie's second installment in the series. Enter Jason Blum and David Gordon Green. The Blumhouse superproducer and the Pineapple Express director devised an idea for another chapter in the Halloween saga, one that would ignore everything but the original masterpiece. This would allow for a culmination of the long-standing battle between masked psychopath Michael Myers and Laurie Strode, the ultimate final girl. Green began working on the screenplay with frequent collaborator Danny McBride, Carpenter agreed to return to craft the music, and Blum and Universal set a prime October 2018 release date. And just like that, you have one of the most anticipated films of the year. Earlier today, Universal released the spooky first trailer for the film- watch it below!


The Halloween franchise was really my first exposure to horror movies. I'm sure I had seen some scary stuff before, but John Carpenter's 1978 classic was my first real scary movie. I caught it on AMC during one of their Halloween marathons, which turned into a weekend of watching bits and pieces of all the movies in the series. I loved the original, of course, and I enjoyed mindlessly watching the sequels. But until this film was announced, I wasn't exactly clamoring for another chapter in the franchise. I wasn't sure if anyone could conjure that classic Carpenter magic, even with the presence of the music and the mask and the classic vibe. But as soon as Green, McBride, and Blum signed on, I was interested. When Carpenter agreed to do another original score, I was even more curious. And after watching this trailer, I am completely and totally sold. Halloween looks terrific, and I can't wait to see this series back in prime form again.

Firstly, the idea of Jamie Lee Curtis' Laurie Strode becoming a brilliant survivalist and Michael Myers prepper is all kinds of brilliant. It gives a sense of gravity to their impending showdown, as if this conflict wasn't already saddled with enough bloody history. In addition, I'm so excited to see Curtis return to this role, and I have a feeling that this set-up will produce some instantly iconic moments. And to make it all the more frightening, the psychological aspect seems to be in play again, which has always made the Halloween series deeply unsettling. That scene in the mental hospital at the start of the trailer is bone-chilling.

But perhaps best of all, it seems that Green has made a film that looks and feels like a real Halloween movie. The music sent chills up and down my spine, the jump scares seem to be perfectly executed, and Michael looks as terrifying as ever. After several long years, we could finally see a worthy sequel to a classic of the genre. Bring on the return of horror's scariest serial killer.

Halloween opens on October 19. I can't wait for this one.


Image courtesy of Universal Pictures

Comments