Wild trailer for 'Skyscraper' teases Dwayne Johnson's next action flick

For a moment there, I thought Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson had lost a step. Okay, so maybe I was a little skewed by how much I hated Baywatch. But what was supposed to be a massive, R-rated comedic blockbuster in the vein of 21 Jump Street turned into The Rock's first genuine disaster, panned by critics and audiences alike. The possible future presidential candidate decided to slam critics as being out of touch, a sentiment that frustrated me and many others in the online film community. For such a likable movie star presence, it was a weird moment. But it didn't last long. I doubt anyone will remember Baywatch in a few years, but people will remember how The Rock turned Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle into a global smash. Granted, it's hard to give him all the credit. Jack Black, Karen Gillan, and Kevin Hart helped as well, and director Jake Kasdan delivered an incredibly entertaining movie. But would Jumanji be at $855 million worldwide and climbing without The Rock? I doubt it. Johnson may have just had one of his biggest blockbuster successes ever, but he's not slowing down. After taking on giant monkeys and crocodiles in April's Rampage, The Rock will head to China for Skyscraper, an action vehicle that looks maybe a little too similar to Die Hard. Last night, Universal revealed the first full trailer- watch it below, then keep reading for my thoughts!


So this movie looks pretty ludicrous. Let's be honest though- I wouldn't expect anything else from the man who has crafted a brand around being practically superhuman. The Rock's more outlandish vehicles (think San Andreas) never really work for me, but I'm always willing to give them a shot in the hopes of some good summer fun. This is Die Hard in a bigger, shinier building, with just a few added twists along the way. I think it's a nice touch that Johnson is playing a hero with a prosthetic leg, which is a great way to get representation for disabled people in a major action film. I'm not sure if this move will be criticized or applauded, but I like it. As for the villains, they seem a little more generic than, say, Hans Gruber, but to expect any antagonists to meet that standard is unreasonable. When you consider the fact that Dodgeball and Central Intelligence director Rawson Marshall Thurber is behind the camera, I think we could be in for an enjoyable ride. And let's be real, this movie only exists to make boatloads of money in China (it's set in the country, after all). With Johnson's likable presence leading the way, I have no doubt that this will be a global smash.

Skyscraper hits theaters on July 13.


Image courtesy of Universal

Comments