This Week in Trailers: New previews for 'A Quiet Place,' 'Uncle Drew,' 'Ready Player One,' and more hit the web

It may only be February, but with Black Panther poised to break all kinds of records this weekend, I think it's safe to say that Hollywood's blockbuster season has begun. The Oscars are on March 4, and after that, awards and "serious" films will be in the rearview mirror. March is jam-packed with big movies, and even though April lacks any true event films, there are a few potential sleeper hits in the making. As the season approaches, the studios are ramping up their marketing campaigns, debuting new trailers for these hotly anticipated projects. Here are some of the biggest clips to hit the web over the last week, starting with a new look at John Krasinski's A Quiet Place. Watch it below!


When the teaser trailer for A Quiet Place came out several months ago, multiple people asked me what I thought. The truth was that I just hadn't watched it yet- I had heard some fascinating things, but John Krasinski's last directorial effort didn't exactly light the world on fire. But after seeing the teaser in front of Star Wars: The Last Jedi, my interest grew. Cut to a few months later, and this is undeniably one of the "can't miss" movies of early 2018. A Quiet Place will open SXSW in less than a month, which indicates a good deal of confidence on Paramount's part. And by the looks of this latest trailer, they have every reason in the world to be confident. Krasinski seems to have directed the hell out of this movie, and the cinematography by Charlotte Bruus Christensen is top-notch. The film looks scary and mysterious, and I think it's a surprise smash hit waiting to happen. This is the kind of high-concept entertainment that horror audiences crave, and I have a feeling that Krasinski will deliver.

A Quiet Place arrives on April 6.

Remember the commercials where basketball star Kyrie Irving played an old man named Uncle Drew? Yeah, they made a movie about that. Check out the first trailer!


So Uncle Drew doesn't look particularly "good" in the traditional sense of the word, but did anyone really expect otherwise? It's a silly way for some great comedic stars and talented basketball players to get together and have some fun, and the movie looks like it could be entertaining enough. It may end up being a brutal cringe-fest, but I'm trusting Lil Rel Howery and Tiffany Haddish to keep this thing afloat. At the least, this should be a mildly amusing summer diversion. I will say, it's pretty funny that Kyrie Irving has a leading role in a film before LeBron James. I know that LeBron appeared in Amy Schumer's Trainwreck, but he certainly didn't get top billing. Even though I'm sure the most talented basketball player in the world doesn't care that his former teammate is appearing in a dopey summer comedy, I still think it's ironic in a way.

Uncle Drew will debut on June 29.

Steven Spielberg has been hit-or-miss lately, but can he regain his mojo with the mega-budget Ready Player One? Take a look at the latest trailer and keep reading for my thoughts!


I've come to terms with the fact that I'm not going to be 100% sold on Ready Player One until I sit down in the theater to watch it. Nonetheless, it looks like Steven Spielberg has taken a big swing here, and I'm down to see what he has put together with this visionary sci-fi epic. I'm not gonna lie, some aspects of this movie still look like a visually cluttered eyesore. I like the ambition of the action sequences, but good lord, that last shot is absolutely ridiculous ("It's so dense, every frame has so much going on!").

This is definitely the best trailer yet, and I'm a fan of the "Pure Imagination" cover that underscores the action. But most of all, I'm just excited to see Spielberg back in blockbuster mode. Everything we've seen from this movie indicates that this is a return to the kind of old-school, crowd-pleasing popcorn flick that he used to make, and I'm here for it.

Ready Player One will hit theaters on March 29. There are some rumors that it'll premiere at SXSW, but we'll see.

Dwayne Johnson solidified his status as the world's biggest movie star with Jumanji. Will Rampage continue his hot streak? Watch the latest trailer for the monster mash below.


Rampage looks spectacularly stupid, which means there's no question that I will be there on opening day. Dwayne Johnson's brand of blockbuster trash doesn't always work for me (see: San Andreas, Central Intelligence, Baywatch), but this one looks to be right up my alley. A giant ape, a massive crocodile, and a flying wolf? Jeffrey Dean Morgan doing some kind of ridiculous accent? IMAX-sized action with buildings crumbling? The Rock doing his thing? Yeah, I think I'm in. Rampage obviously won't be cinematic art of any kind, but as high-quality monster schlock, this looks like a grand time.

Rampage premieres on April 20.

Even without the presence of Guillermo del Toro, Pacific Rim Uprising has the potential to be one of the more entertaining sequels of the year. Watch the IMAX trailer!


Just like Rampage, Pacific Rim Uprising is unlikely to impress from a cinematic standpoint. Even with Guillermo del Toro behind the camera, the original Pacific Rim was pretty much a cooler, stranger Transformers movie, with some excellent world-building and an incredible musical score to top it all off. The sequel will likely be more of the same, except it seems that director Travis S. DeKnight has upped the mayhem in a pretty significant way. This is more of an extended fight scene than a trailer, and it's pure CGI carnage from start to finish. Uprising does look like a stunning accomplishment of visual effects, and I'm dazzled by the action on display here. And as someone who really enjoyed the original, I'm excited to get the chance to return to this world. We didn't need a sequel, but with John Boyega leading the way and more spectacular monster battles, I'm not gonna say no.

Pacific Rim Uprising will open on March 23.

Also, check out this new poster for Ready Player One. How awesome is that?


Image: Warner Bros./IMDb

Comments