Epic teaser trailer for Marvel's 'Avengers: Infinity War' hits the web

Marvel has had an unparalleled run of success over the last decade, but next year, it's the beginning of the end for some of your favorite superheroes. When Marvel Studios launched Iron Man in 2008, the film was a major question mark. Nobody had any idea that it would be such a critical and financial success, let alone that it would spawn the most influential franchise in Hollywood history. 10 years and billions of dollars later, Marvel's great experiment is about to undergo its greatest change yet. While the Cinematic Universe has moved in phases throughout the years, next year's Infinity War and the following year's still-untitled Avengers 4 represent the end of the current MCU and the birth of a new chapter. In a detailed interview with Vanity Fair's Joanna Robinson, Marvel chief Kevin Feige noted that, in the grand scheme of this universe, there will be "everything before Avengers 4 and everything after." In Feige's words, Avengers 4 will be "a finale," one that will "not be in ways people are expecting." Even with exciting titles like Black Panther, Ant-Man and the Wasp, and Captain Marvel hitting theaters in the coming years, there's no doubt that the next two chapters in the Avengers saga will be cinematic events the likes of which we've never seen before. After months of fan anticipation, Marvel has finally released the first trailer for Avengers: Infinity War. Check it out below!


Look, I haven't loved every Marvel film. Taking this year as an example, I adored James Gunn's Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2, but I was less impressed by Spider-Man: Homecoming and Thor: Ragnarok. There have been times where I've dismissed Marvel's formulaic filmmaking, lamenting their struggles with auteurs like Edgar Wright. But there's no doubt that this franchise means a lot to me. While some fans had to wait their entire lives to see these heroes on the big screen, I practically grew up with the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Before I spent every waking minute of my life researching films on the internet, I remember being stunned when I fast-forwarded to the end of the credits on my Iron Man DVD and found Samuel L. Jackson's Nick Fury. If you want evidence to prove just how young I am, Iron Man 2 was the first PG-13 movie I saw in theaters- this is not a joke (I was bad at convincing my parents to let me see movies). I counted down the days until The Avengers hit theaters, I saw The Winter Soldier with my brother and grandpa and came out thinking it was the best Marvel movie yet, and I watched Age of Ultron on opening night with a bunch of excited fans. Marvel has had a few disappointments, but I don't think we give them enough credit for how consistent they've been over the last decade.

Even if superhero movies are no longer my primary cinematic interest, I think it's fair to say that Avengers: Infinity War is my most anticipated movie of 2018. This is the culmination of 10 years of epic stories, movies populated with characters we've come to know and love. Along with Avengers 4, this is the end of an experiment that has never been attempted before. Joe and Anthony Russo juggled all of the characters and narratives with ease in Captain America: Civil War- can they do it on an even larger scale? Infinity War is going to bring in every corner of this expansive universe, as the Avengers, Doctor Strange, and the Guardians of the Galaxy join forces to fight a villain who has been teased for years. Judging by the looks of this trailer, we're in for an amazing treat. What more can I really say? The footage looks incredible, and the way that the trailer plays off the history of the MCU is enough to give any fan goosebumps. And of course, as a huge fan of the Guardians, it was a delight to see their appearance teased towards the end of the trailer. The Playlist's Gregory Ellwood has called it "the blockbuster to end all blockbusters," and I think that's an accurate statement. We're looking at something truly special here, and if the Russos and Feige pull this off, it'll be a superhero epic for the record books.

With a cast that includes Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Chris Pratt, Benedict Cumberbatch, Chadwick Boseman, Scarlett Johansson, Mark Ruffalo, Elizabeth Olsen, Josh Brolin, Paul Bettany, Tom Hiddleston, Anthony Mackie, Paul Rudd, Tom Holland, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Bradley Cooper, Vin Diesel, Karen Gillan, Jeremy Renner, Sebastian Stan, Don Cheadle, Benedict Wong, Pom Klementieff, Jon Favreau, Benicio del Toro, Danai Gurira, and Gwenyth Paltrow, Avengers: Infinity War will debut on May 4.


Image: Marvel/IMDB

Comments