Trailer for 'The Square' teases provocative Palme d'Or winner

As I've noted many times before on this site, it was a strange year for the Cannes Film Festival. The films from highly-lauded auteurs didn't necessarily perform as expected, and there really was never a clear favorite for the Palme d'Or, the most prestigious award in global cinema. Some thought that Lynne Ramsay's You Were Never Really Here would sneak in and win the whole thing after a last-minute premiere, but the general consensus was that the award would go to Robin Campillo's 120 BPM (Beats Per Minute). A timely epic about the French movement to stop the AIDS crisis, the film seemed to have just the right mix of subject matter and feel-good appeal. But in a surprise twist, 120 Beats Per Minute finished in second place, allowing Ruben Östlund's The Square to win the Palme d'Or. The acclaimed director's follow-up to Force Majeure, a prickly family satire that was beloved by critics, The Square tackles the modern art world and all of the preposterous people that inhabit it. The film divided audiences at Cannes, and it will no doubt provoke plenty of conversation in the Best Foreign Language film race. Earlier today, Magnolia Pictures released the first domestic trailer- check it out!


As someone who didn't much care for Force Majeure (I know, I know, sue me), I wasn't sure how excited I was for The Square. It was clear from that snowy dark comedy that Östlund had talent, but the pieces just never clicked into place for me. But if this first look at The Square is any indication, I am going to absolutely love Östlund's latest film. This is an absolutely tremendous trailer, one that conveys tone and mood more than actual plot details, something I wish more films would do. Set to a thundering techno score and filled with no shortage of insane images and sequences, this trailer teases a thrilling, flat-out ludicrous satire that will be simultaneously epic and absurd. Elisabeth Moss looks brilliant, and I love whatever the hell Terry Notary is doing here. Of course I can't guarantee that I'll be pleased by the final result (I remember liking the first trailer for Force Majeure as well), but I can't help but buy into the hype based on this brief glance at footage. The Square looks like the real deal. Judging by the trailer, it's easy to see why everyone at Cannes was talking about this one.

The Square hits theaters on October 27.


Image: Magnolia/IMDB

Comments