Jamie Lee Curtis to face Michael Myers one final time in David Gordon Green's 'Halloween'

Halloween is one of the greatest horror films of all time, and it was my entry point for the genre as a whole. It's always fun to recall stories of the first time that I saw movies that would later become favorites, but Halloween is particularly fun because I basically stumbled upon it. My parents encouraged me to watch John Carpenter's 1978 classic when it was on AMC one day, and I was hooked immediately. I watched bits and pieces of the rest of the series over the weekend, and I loved it. Halloween takes so much of what we love about the horror genre and dilutes it to its essence, delivering the kind of suspenseful thrills that remain unparalleled by most modern horror. The rest of the franchise has never managed to stack up, and while many have tried, nobody has replicated the success of that original masterpiece. But something feels different about the latest reboot. Maybe it's the fact that David Gordon Green has such a strange Hollywood career, or maybe it's the idea that Carpenter could actually be involved in a significant way. Whatever the case may be, something is intriguing me here. Earlier today, Universal and Blumhouse made a big announcement regarding this film- keep reading to find out the details!


So yes, it appears that Jamie Lee Curtis will be returning to the franchise that kick-started her career. While Curtis has managed to appear in a variety of well-known films, it still seems like she often finds herself back into the Halloween realm. There was much surprise when this move was announced, as Curtis' Laurie Strode was apparently killed in 2002's Halloween: Resurrection. As someone who isn't well-versed in the franchise beyond the original, I had no idea- but I don't think it particularly matters. Green and co-writer Danny McBride are going to take what they want from the mythology of the series, and I'm excited to see their take on the material. With Carpenter doing the music and the screenwriters promising a wild ride, I'm hopeful that this series can get the brilliant finale that it truly deserves. Jason Blum has proven himself to be a terrific producer of horror over the years, and if there's anybody I want doing a Halloween reboot, it's these guys. I can't wait to see what they've cooked up.

Halloween will debut on October 19, 2018. Just in time for everyone's favorite spooky holiday.

Comments