Trailer for Richard Linklater's 'Last Flag Flying' hits the web

As I've developed my personal film taste over the last several years, few directors have had as much of an impact on me as Richard Linklater. The Texas-based filmmaker is the pioneer of the modern hangout movie, and he has made so many films that I consider to be all-time favorites. Surprisingly, my first real interest in Linklater's work came in the form of Boyhood, his 2014 magnum opus, an epic journey of observation that was shot over the course of 12 years. From there, I turned to Dazed and Confused, Linklater's free-flowing portrait of teenage life that is undoubtedly the best high school movie ever made. The spiritual sequel, last year's Everybody Wants Some!!, is almost equally impressive, documenting the freedom and optimism of the collegiate world in such a joyous manner that you can't help but love it. Finally, I recently watched the Before Trilogy, which is every bit as bittersweet and hopelessly romantic as I had heard. Linklater is one of the best directors working today, and each new film from him is an event in my book. This fall, the director jumps into the awards season with Last Flag Flying, a sequel to the Jack Nicholson classic The Last Detail. Earlier today, Amazon Studios released the first trailer- check it out below!


Full disclosure- I have not seen The Last Detail. I know it's a classic, and I probably will watch it before I check out this one. My interest lies primarily in the fact that it's a Linklater movie, and yes, this trailer indicates that it will contain many of the hallmarks of the director's laid-back style. To make a superficial comparison, this seems like Manchester by the Sea meets the road trip movie, and with a great director and cast behind the wheel, that's an exciting proposition. Bryan Cranston and Laurence Fishburne are already gaining Oscar buzz for their turns here, and I wouldn't be surprised if Steve Carell sneaks into the race too. This film looks like a traditional Linklater mix of tragedy and comedy, and while it doesn't seem to be anything flashy, I have a feeling that its quiet narrative and human touch could be very appealing in an awards race that looks to be dominated by bombast. The film is set to open the New York Film Festival at the end of September, with what is sure to be one of the hottest tickets of the season. Amazon Studios is dominated that entire festival, playing Wonderstruck as the centerpiece and Woody Allen's Wonder Wheel as the closing night film. Can they apply some of their Manchester magic to Linklater's newest effort? We shall see.

Last Flag Flying opens in limited release on November 3 before going wide on November 17. It's one that I simply cannot wait to watch.

Comments