Creepy trailer for Darren Aronofsky's secretive 'mother!' is finally here

Darren Aronofsky is one of the most beloved directors on the planet, but I don't think I can say whether I'm really a fan or not. And that boils down to one simple reason- I haven't seen enough of his movies. Aronofsky has directed six feature films, and I've seen a grand total of two- The Fountain and Noah, neither of which are considered to be at the top of his resume. They both felt markedly different, but I didn't fall in love with either film. I do intend to watch Requiem for a Dream (a movie that people have been warning me about since I was literally 13 years old) and Aronofsky's Oscar-winning Black Swan at some point, as both seem to be right up my alley. Nonetheless, my relative lack of familiarity with Aronofksy's limited filmography hasn't dimmed my excitement for mother! in the slightest. Billed as some kind of riff on Rosemary's Baby, the director's latest project has been shrouded in secrecy since the very start. With the exception of a teaser poster released on Mother's Day, Aronofsky has kept a tight lid on this one. Last night, we got our first full look at the Jennifer Lawrence vehicle- check out the trailer below!


Nobody has really known what to make of mother! over the last few months. Paramount debuted the first poster nearly three months ago, but never released a trailer, which usually goes against every single studio marketing instinct. Then the film was moved up from its October 13 release date to September 15, which speaking in traditional terms, isn't exactly a sign of confidence. But immediately after that, it was announced that the film will play at both Venice and Toronto, two festivals that typically pave the way for Oscar buzz. So if you're reading the tea leaves here, you're probably not sure what to make of the whole thing.

But judging purely by this trailer, we are in for a ride. Considered that the film's release date is only a month away, this first look is coming very late in the game. But when you have a trailer that is this good, who needs an elaborate campaign? Accompanied by a series of intense violin shrieks, this trailer consistently ups the horror to an astonishing level. The visuals look appropriately terrifying, and the cast, led by Lawrence and a genuinely frightening Bardem, is excellent. I'm hoping to get something truly special here, and I love that I still don't know entirely what to expect. Fingers crossed for a knockout from Aronofsky.

mother! will premiere at Venice at the end of the month before its release on September 15.


Poster: IMDB

Comments