A24 reveals chilling teaser for 'The Killing of a Sacred Deer'

Whether you love him, hate him, or don't know how to feel about his work, there's no question in my mind that Yorgos Lanthimos is one of the more interesting filmmakers working today. I'm haven't decided whether I'm a fan or not, although I think it's telling that I couldn't make it very far into Dogtooth. Lanthimos' breakout feature came in 2016 (well, technically 2015 if we're talking festival runs) in the form of The Lobster, a sci-fi parable that blended Kubrickian style with dark humor and an abundance of dystopian imagination. It's an impressively original film, but man, it's a tough watch. But my response to his work hasn't dimmed my excitement for the director's latest provocation, as I continue to hope that Lanthimos has delivered something that touches a nerve with me in a positive manner. The Killing of a Sacred Deer took Cannes by storm, and unsurprisingly, it was one of the more divisive movies of the festival. Some were in awe of Lanthimos' first outright horror film, while others found the project to be far too disturbing. I'm not sure where I'll fall, but I'm excited to find out. Earlier today, A24 released the first trailer for the film- check it out below!


Even after hearing about The Killing of a Sacred Deer for months, I'm still not entirely sure what it's about. And for me, that's a good thing. This trailer drops some plot clues that hint at something seriously disturbing, and at this point, there's not much more I need to know. This is a very brief first look at the film, but it still does an incredible job of teasing something dark, sinister, and horrifying. For starters, the cast is truly outstanding, led by Lobster star Colin Farrell, Nicole Kidman (who's having an amazing year), Rafey Cassidy, Alicia Silverstone, and Dunkirk star Barry Keoghan. Everyone looks to be on the top of their game here, acclimating to the sterile, emotionless universe that Lanthimos operates with ease. I'm still not sure if this is a movie that I will ultimately enjoy, but I love that there's such a daring, distinct filmmaker working in mainstream Hollywood today. I have enormous respect for Lanthimos, and I can't wait to see the horror show that he has cooked up with this one.

The Killing of a Sacred Deer opens in limited release on October 27 before going wide on November 3. It will play at this fall's Toronto International Film Festival as well.


Image: IMDB/A24

Comments