Sony debuts solid third trailer and awful poster for 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'

We're just over a month away from the release of Sony's Spider-Man: Homecoming, and I still don't know how to feel about it. For every single thing that gets me excited about seeing the first solo Spidey movie in the MCU, there's something else that gives me pause or makes me worried. Take for example the marketing blitz that came on Wednesday. The trailer was a mixed bag of positives and negatives, but the poster......good lord, the poster. I encourage you to jump down and look at this thing (click on it to enlarge). It is one of the most atrocious posters I have ever seen, an overly photoshopped mess of characters that has no clear sense of cohesion. Robert Downey Jr.'s Tony Stark
appears twice on the poster, and one time he's literally on fire. The Vulture hangs over his chest, Logan Marshall-Green is shown firing a giant gun, and the skylines of both Washington D.C. and New York City are shown in the background. It's literally so bad. Nonetheless, a new Spider-Man movie won't be hurt by one awful poster, and the third (and presumably) final trailer that accompanied it is actually pretty decent. Check it out below!


Okay, so here's my breakdown of the positives and negatives for Homecoming:

The Good

-High school stuff
-Tom Holland
-Chemistry with Zendaya and Jacob Batalon

The Bad

-Anything with Tony Stark
-The fact that Tony made his Spidey suit
-Seriously, why does Tony have such a large role?

Look, I love Iron Man. I didn't mind when Marvel turned the third installment in the Captain America trilogy into a glorified Avengers movie by including Tony and the rest of the heroes. But something about the level of his inclusion in Homecoming irks me, and I hate the idea of Stark being essential to Peter Parker's origin story. Homecoming appears to be fighting a war between two movies- a high school Spider-Man movie and a movie that exists to emphasize how big of a role it plays in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I hope that the stand-alone Spidey stuff comes out on top, but the fact that six writers wrote the screenplay doesn't give me much confidence. Anyways, we'll see how this turns out, but I'm still skeptical.

Spider-Man: Homecoming debuts on July 7.


Image courtesy of Sony

Comments