Long-awaited trailer for 'The Dark Tower' is finally here

It's a great year for Stephen King fans, as two of the iconic writer's most famous works are coming to the silver screen in the form of big-budget adaptations. After a trailer that practically broke the internet with over 197 million views in the first 24 hours, I feel like it's a guarantee that Andres Muschietti's adaptation of It, King's 1986 horror opus, will be one of the biggest films of the year. However, there's less certainty over Nikolaj Arcel's The Dark Tower, the first installment in what Sony hopes will be a massive franchise of movies based on King's best-selling novels. While I'm reading It right now, I have much less familiarity with The Dark Tower- I only know that there's a loyal and loud contingent of fans who are very passionate about this series. Fans have been clamoring for a trailer for months, and with the film's August 4 release date looming and no marketing in sight, many in the industry had joked that this wasn't even a real movie. But after a long wait, our first look at The Dark Tower is finally here. Check out the highly-anticipated trailer for the film below!


Like I said, I don't really know much about The Dark Tower series. I know that it features a unique mix of western and sci-fi elements, accompanied by a rich mythology and a classic battle between good and evil. Reaction to the trailer out of CinemaCon was mixed, with some fans in attendance noting that the trailer didn't accurately convey the tone or genre of the novels. I haven't quite been able to assess the fan reaction to this trailer, but it's safe to say that I'm not entirely sure what to think yet. The Dark Tower looks both epic and generic, wonderfully weird and somewhat disconcertingly safe. I love the big-screen combination of Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey, and some of the action scenes look very cool and different. I don't know if the young protagonist is a feature of the book or an added element of Arcel's adaptation, but I think it'll make the main characters seem legendary and interesting in a way. August is a dead zone for movies this year, so The Dark Tower will undoubtedly the marquee event of the month for blockbuster fans. Whether it'll be a revolutionary smash hit that starts a franchise- I'm not so sure. But this is an intriguing first look, one that promises something different for the summer months. They haven't sold me yet, but I'm hoping that this could be special.

The Dark Tower opens on August 4.


Poster courtesy of Sony

Comments