M. Night Shyamalan officially announces 'Glass' for January 2019 release

*Spoilers for Split (duh)*

When M. Night Shyamalan's Split had its surprise premiere at Austin's Fantastic Fest back in September, fans of the director instantly praised the twist ending of his new project. But then again, that wasn't necessarily a surprise as a twist in a Shyamalan movie is only natural. However, it was far from a conventional twist by the director's standards- instead of something akin to The Sixth Sense or The Happening, Split ended by revealing that the film took place in the same universe as Unbreakable, Shyamalan's 2000 cult comic book movie. Essentially, a James McAvoy film about a man with 23 distinct identities was shockingly revealed as an origin story for a supervillain that would face off against Bruce Willis' David Dunn in a potential follow-up installment. This re-ignited hope that Shyamalan would once again consider directing an Unbreakable sequel, and the director confirmed that, yes, a sequel to both films was in the works. Today, the pieces came together and the director officially announced all the details for his upcoming film.


On Twitter, Shyamalan had this to say about the sequel (Note: I've condensed all the tweets, added italics, and removed hashtags).

"Okay. Here we go. Finished the new script. It's taken 17 years but I can finally answer the #1 question I get, "Are you making a ******* sequel to Unbreakable or what?" My new film is the sequel to Unbreakable AND Split. It was always my dream to have both films collide in this third film. The iconic Bruce Willis returns as David Dunn. The incomparable Samuel L. Jackson will return as Elijah Price/Mr. Glass. The virtuoso James McAvoy will return as Kevin Wendell Crumb, Patricia, Dennis, Hedwig, Jade, Orwell, The Beast, Heinrich, Norma, Pol-.....And the prodigy, Anya Taylor-Joy will return as Casey Cooke. I'm re-teaming with my partners Jason Blum and Universal Pictures for this crazy comic book thriller. And the film is called GLASS.....Universal Pictures will release Glass on January 18, 2019 all over the world. How's that for not keeping a secret!"

Well, looks like I need to see Unbreakable. When I reviewed Split back in January, I mentioned that I didn't have much of a reaction to the last-minute twist because I just don't have any familiarity with the popular comic book flick. I'll definitely check it out before seeing Glass, and judging by the 2019 release date, I have plenty of time. That being said, as someone who enjoyed Split, I'm interested to see the continued adventures of Casey and Kevin Wendell Crumb as they collide with the superheroes and villains of the Unbreakable universe. Shyamalan is officially back, and he just might be better than ever.

Glass will hit theaters on January 18, 2019.


Images: Universal/Disney/IMDB

Comments